undefined method `^' for "d":String

Hi guys.

I'm a freshman on Rails (and Ruby) so I'm sorry if my question is pretty basic, and possible has a vary basic answer. I tried to Google this problem, but a couple of hour after and no solution found, I decided to ask for help here.

I have installed ruby 1.9.1p243, Rails 2.3.4, Gem 1.3.5, SQLite version 3.6.18 (I think this is all that it's needed). I´m reading and implementing simultaneously Depot sample app presented in the book Agile Web Development with Rails. After creating the Model (just a simple table Products) and generating the controller and views through the generate script with scaffolding enabled, and applying the respective migration to the database (SQLite), when I access the default action on Products controller (index), I get the following error:

It's a bug in rails: #3144 undefined method `^' for String - RoR 2.3.4 - Ruby on Rails - rails

The change in question was a security fix - for the purpose of learning rails you could revert to rails 2.3.3 without ill effect (make sure you have that version of the gem installed and set RAILS_GEM_VERSION in environment.rb)

Fred

Thanks Fred. That solved my problem. I Installed version 2.3.3 and then I had to rebuild the application from scratch, because only changing the variable RAILS_GEM_VERSION in environment.rb, still gave me the error pasted bellow, of a missing method, I guess, when I started the WEBrick server. Then I rebuilt the application with for the version 2.3.3 and all works fine.

Thanks again

Thanks Fred. That solved my problem. I Installed version 2.3.3 and then I had to rebuild the application from scratch, because only changing the variable RAILS_GEM_VERSION in environment.rb, still gave me the error pasted bellow, of a missing method, I guess, when I started the WEBrick server. Then I rebuilt the application with for the version 2.3.3 and all works fine.

Thanks again

I confirm that just replacing RAILS_GEM_VERSION outputs the same error.

Is there a workaround for this ?

I confirm that just replacing RAILS_GEM_VERSION outputs the same error.

Is there a workaround for this ?

you could remove the corresponding line from new_rails_defaults.rb - sounds like the version 2.3.4 generates by default contains an option that only exists from rails 2.3.4 onwards.

Fred