ubygems.rb hack

I just updated my Ubuntu Hardy Heron (8.04) to Ruby 1.8.7 and Rails 2.3.2, and I've managed to get stuck with

ruby: no such file to load -- ubygems (LoadError)

Investigating further, it appears that this is a hack someone added 'long time ago' to allow

ruby -rubygems blah

to work. Before I did the upgrade, there was a file in there named ubygems.rb which only had a "require 'rubygems'" line in it.

Most of the commentary on this subject revolved around Doze or Cygwin, and the recommendation was to unset $RUBYOPT

I did so, and now it says RubyGems is not installed. Setting it again returns me to the ubygems error.

What's the right way to fix this? I had already updated rubygems to 1.3.3, so

sudo gem update --system

does not fix it.

I could easily recreate the hack by installing a file ubygems.rb, but... blyecch!

Thanks in advance!

-- Don Wilde

UPDATE: It appears that it is Ruby that is having the issue with the hack. I called the old 1.8.6-p111 ruby that was the previous standard install (thankfully, I'd renamed rather than overwriting!), and it works. I'd still like to know the proper way to fix it, but I can limp along with this.

There is a ubygems.rb file in /usr/lib/ruby/1.8, as well as one in the gem directory for rubygems-1.3.3. :-\