Trying to create a standalone migration file, db:migrate

I have this code placed in my project's bin/rails directory:

#!/usr/bin/env ruby.exe      APP_PATH = File.expand_path('../../config/application', __FILE__)      require_relative '../config/boot'      require 'rails/commands'

generate migration add_physician_id_to_appointment

and I then I ran a db:migrate.

I don't think my code is placed correctly to generate a new migration file for my database. I am trying to create a standalone migration with the code below:

class Appointment < ActiveRecord::Migration          def change              add_column :physician_id, :integer            end          end

I am using this resource:

I have this code placed in my project's bin/rails directory:

#!/usr/bin/env ruby.exe      APP_PATH = File.expand_path('../../config/application', __FILE__)      require_relative '../config/boot'      require 'rails/commands'

generate migration add_physician_id_to_appointment

and I then I ran a db:migrate.

I don't think my code is placed correctly to generate a new migration file for my database. I am trying to create a standalone migration with the code below:

class Appointment < ActiveRecord::Migration          def change              add_column :physician_id, :integer            end          end

I am using this resource: Active Record Migrations — Ruby on Rails Guides

I don't understand why you have made a file in bin/rails. There is no need to do that. You must first generate the migration using the command rails generate migration ... from the command line. That will generate the migration file in db/migrate, then you have a look there to make sure it is correct and then run rake db:migrate to apply the migration.

I suspect you are just starting with rails, in which case I recommend working right through a good tutorial such as railstutorial.org (which is free to use online). That will show you the basics of rails, including how to use migrations.

Colin

Colin Law wrote in post #1163577:

rails generate migration ... from the command line. That will generate the migration file in db/migrate, then you have a look there to make sure it is correct and then run rake db:migrate to apply the migration.

I recommend working right through a good tutorial such as railstutorial.org (which is free to use online). That will show you the basics of rails, including how to use migrations.

Colin

Thanks Colin for the resource and help!

My problem is resolved.