Trouble with :include

For some reason it seems that :include is not working for a couple of my associations. Here are the models I'm using:

##### MODELS #####

class Registration < ActiveRecord::Base   has_many :events, :foreign_key => :user_id end

# Note the single table inheritance class User < Registration end

class Event < ActiveRecord::Base    belongs_to :user    has_one :image, :as => :imageable, :dependent => :destroy end

class Image < ActiveRecord::Base    belongs_to :imageable, :polymorphic => true end

Does the Users table have a column named "type"? that is required for STI

Yes the Registrations table has a column named "type". Since Users inherits from Registrations we don't need a Users table (right?).

Thanks, Jeremy

Correct, I wasn't thinking far enough up the chain.

Does anybody know why I'm having this problem?

My guess is that Rails is lost because the STI with non-standard fks is confusing. It's able to navigate things better once you have the instance back. You might give Rails a little help if you have a require 'registration' at the top of your event.rb. That should help rails find the STI subclasses before you try your Event.find.

Have you checked the log after running the initial query to see if it is trying to do the joins?

I think one implication of your model is that only Users get to have Events (at least Rails might think so). Is that true?