:include doesn't work with belongs_to

I'm having issues getting :include to eagerly load data in a "belongs_to" association. Here's the breakdown:

Users have friends and an avatar image. If I am loading all the user's friends I want to also eagerly load the images for those users in the same SQL query -- instead of 1 query per friend, which adds up quickly. Here are my models:

Image     belongs_to :imageable, :polymorphic => true

User     has_many :images, :as => :imageable     has_many :friends, :include => :user,

Friend     # The user     belongs_to :owner_user,                      :class_name => "User",                      :foreign_key =>"user_id",

# The friend     belongs_to :user,                      :class_name => "User",                      :foreign_key => "friend_id",                      :include => :images

As you can see I use :include on User#friends for "user" and then on Friend#user for "images". My thinking is, when accessing User#friends, rails will eagerly load the User object for each friend and all the images for that user.

friend -> user -> images

Currently the first part works (friend -> user), but it does not query for the images at the same time. So when I list all a user's friends with their avatars I get a lot of SQL queries.

What am I doing wrong? How can I optimize this?

Is there any work around that you can think of?

Thanks! Jeremy

I thought the known problem was the other way round?

ie if I'm loading some Images and i want to include :imageable then we're stuck (because we don;t know which tables to join on, and even if you do it would probably be rather ineffecient. (There is a patch out there (blowing my own horn for a second: http://dev.rubyonrails.org/ticket/9640), which does address this (although mainly as a side effect of completely replacing :include)). You can get this by hand: give the array of things, find the distinct types and do one query per type.

In this case you do get a warning about not being able to :include the polymorphic association. I thought the other way round was ok though. The code in associations.rb certainly looks like it's trying to handle it.

Fred

OK, so using polymorphic is what breaks this? So should is it more efficient to have different Models for different image types? I'll also go checkout your solution right now.