Trouble passing variable

<% @user.comments.each_with_index do |comment,index| %>      ................      ................

<%= form_for [Comment, Subcomment.new],:remote => true do |form| %>           <div id="body">             <%= form.text_field :body %>           </div>             <% form.hidden_field :comment_id ,index[1] %>           <p>                <%= form.submit %>           </p>       <% end %> <% end %>

It insists that comment_id = Comment

Started POST "/comments/Comment/subcomments" for 127.0.0.1 at 2011-07-17 17:31:54 +0100   Processing by SubcommentsController#create as JS   Parameters: {"utf8"=>"✓", "authenticity_token"=>"Ca9IHcB/No8OJ/9MLtXSeuas7n1Mp8GyxpIAMLJxMXo=", "subcomment"=>{"body"=>"cat"}, "commit"=>"Create Subcomment", "comment_id"=>"Comment"}

What is the correct way to do this?

<% @user.comments.each_with_index do |comment,index| %> ................ ................

&lt;%= form\_for \[Comment, Subcomment\.new\],:remote =&gt; true do |form|

%>

Here you should put the comment the subcomment is for, not Comment. If you do that then you shouldn't need a hidden_field with the comment_id.

Fred

Frederick Cheung wrote in post #1011256:

%>

Here you should put the comment the subcomment is for, not Comment. If you do that then you shouldn't need a hidden_field with the comment_id.

Fred

If I do that I get this in the terminal.

Started POST "/comments/2/subcomments" for 127.0.0.1 at 2011-07-17 19:00:55 +0100   Processing by SubcommentsController#create as JS   Parameters: {"utf8"=>"✓", "authenticity_token"=>"Ca9IHcB/No8OJ/9MLtXSeuas7n1Mp8GyxpIAMLJxMXo=", "subcomment"=>{"body"=>"dog"}, "commit"=>"Create Subcomment", "comment_id"=>"2"}   User Load (0.6ms) SELECT "users".* FROM "users" WHERE "users"."id" = 4 LIMIT 1   AREL (0.3ms) INSERT INTO "subcomments" ("body", "commenter", "comment_id", "created_at", "updated_at") VALUES ('dog', 'natty', NULL, '2011-07-17 18:00:56.130372', '2011-07-17 18:00:56.130372') Rendered comments/_subcomment.html.erb (0.5ms) Rendered subcomments/create.js.erb (4.1ms) Completed 200 OK in 300ms (Views: 16.8ms | ActiveRecord: 0.9ms)

Why won't it pass the comment_id when saving?

Neil

Neil Bye wrote in post #1011261:

Frederick Cheung wrote in post #1011256:

%>

Fred

Strike last posting , there was an error in the controller. All OK now. Still don't know why I got the error in my first post.

Neil Bye wrote in post #1011261:

> Frederick Cheung wrote in post #1011256:

>>> <%= form_for [Comment, Subcomment.new],:remote => true do |form| >>> %>

>> Here you should put the comment the subcomment is for, not Comment. If >> you do that then you shouldn't need a hidden_field with the >> comment_id.

>> Fred

Strike last posting , there was an error in the controller. All OK now. Still don't know why I got the error in my first post.

Because your routes are setup to pull comment_id from the URL.

Fred