Submitting data from view to controller without using form objects or params?!

Hi Guys, My first post (and second RoR app ever!) so expect an easy problem,

I've been making a blog (suprise suprise, my first app was a webstore too!), and I've got a charming front page, listing my posts with some nice css and a really clean interface. Beneath each post I have a comments form, with a name field, a textarea for the body, and a submit post button. Easy! The form's action is set to call the 'add_comment' action in my controller, and the input fields are set to correspond to comment.name and comment.body in the Comment object. This all works perfectly! I pull out the comment object from params with params[:comment] and toss it into the database with comment.save, only to see exceptions that I haven't told the comment which post it belongs to! (post_id is not null, see below) In the comments table in my database, there are: id, post_id, name, body. post_id is linked to the posts table by id, and I've done all the work to set this up correctly.

My question is: Does the Comment object have a post_id property from the table? If so, how do I set it from within my blog.rhtml page? I currently have a "for post in @posts" loop, and so post corresponds to the relavent post_id. Bear in mind that I'm using multiple duplicate forms. If not, how do I set the post_id property?

Thanks a lot, I'm sure this is a really obvious one I've totally missed, Sebastian Wolf

It would help to see the relevant code.

Yes, there will be a 'post_id' property on your comment ... one way would be to set a hidden field on your form holding the post id. There are about 10 other ways of doing this ...