Transaction Failures

Hey,

I've got a multiple model (4) form on my site.

I have the controller handling the creation with a transaction. I do this because if one object can't save I don't want any of them saved and need to be able to quit the entire transaction without making any permanent db calls.

The problem I find is. If a validation fails on an object without the transaction present. The page refreshes with rails generated validation errors. With the transaction present I don't know how to send it back to the page with errors present. But again without the transaction if there is a problem all good objects get saved to the db and the bad one does not.

So the problem is: If the transaction fails. I need the form page to load with validation errors.

I use the code below:

def create     begin       ActiveRecord::Base.transaction do         @dealer = Dealer.new(params[:dealer])         @dealer.save!         @user = @dealer.users.build(params[:user])         @user.role_id = 3         @dealer.addresses.build(params[:mailing_address])        #@dealer.addresses.create(params[:billing_address])       end     rescue ActiveRecord::RecordInvalid => invalid       flash[:notice] = "Vehicle was not created"       @dealer = Dealer.new       @user = User.new       render :action => "new"     end

if ! @dealer.new_record?       flash[:notice] = "Dealer, User and addresses saved!"       redirect_back_or_default login_path     end   end

cheers.

Found my problem immediately after posting.

In:

rescue ActiveRecord::RecordInvalid => invalid       flash[:notice] = "Vehicle was not created"       @dealer = Dealer.new       @user = User.new       render :action => "new" end

Should be:

rescue ActiveRecord::RecordInvalid => invalid       flash[:notice] = "Vehicle was not created"       render :action => "new" end

Creating new objects seems to get blank all the fields. As well I was missing separate <%= f.error_messages %> for each model type.