tough call on rails hosting site

I have a site wl.kuliksco.com which i'm currently running on my home
computer.

i get about 600-700 hits a day but plan on getting into the few
thousands in the next month.

my pages each have about 100 thumbnails each around 1k a piece but the
database tables will only have a few thousand rows each. i'm not really
sure how much bandwidth i should expect to be using since i assume the
majority of the users will have the images cached after the first view.

do you think i need a mongrel instance for fast speeds or do you think
fastcgi with dreamhost.com will be good enough enough if i grow into the
thousands of hits a day?

if not, i was thinking about railsplayground.com or hostingrails.com.

what do you think?

A VPS solution really is the way to go. Having said that if you really
want shared hosting then perhaps hostingrails.com is the way to go as
they have mod_rails (Phusion Passenger) shared rails hosting, and that
is a lot better than FastCGI.

cherring wrote:

A VPS solution really is the way to go. Having said that if you really
want shared hosting then perhaps hostingrails.com is the way to go as
they have mod_rails (Phusion Passenger) shared rails hosting, and that
is a lot better than FastCGI.

On Jun 26, 4:12 pm, Scott Kulik <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>

vps does seem like the best option but it is a little costly since i'm
just running a fan website for a computer game that isn't brining in any
money.

maybe i'll start with the lowest shared hosting plan with mod_rails on
hostingrails.com and upgrade from there if i have performance issues.

Scott Kulik wrote:

cherring wrote:

A VPS solution really is the way to go. Having said that if you really
want shared hosting then perhaps hostingrails.com is the way to go as
they have mod_rails (Phusion Passenger) shared rails hosting, and that
is a lot better than FastCGI.

On Jun 26, 4:12 pm, Scott Kulik <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>

vps does seem like the best option but it is a little costly since i'm
just running a fan website for a computer game that isn't brining in any
money.

maybe i'll start with the lowest shared hosting plan with mod_rails on
hostingrails.com and upgrade from there if i have performance issues.

well after looking over I think i will end up going with vps. who do
you think is the best vps to go with? is there any reason to go with
the ruby vps sites or just some generic cheaper vps hosting which i can
install my own ruby and configure my own apache? (other than the
specialized tech support)

Scott Kulik wrote:

cherring wrote:

A VPS solution really is the way to go. Having said that if you
really
want shared hosting then perhaps hostingrails.com is the way to go
as
they have mod_rails (Phusion Passenger) shared rails hosting, and
that
is a lot better than FastCGI.

On Jun 26, 4:12 pm, Scott Kulik <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>

vps does seem like the best option but it is a little costly since
i'm
just running a fan website for a computer game that isn't brining
in any
money.

maybe i'll start with the lowest shared hosting plan with mod_rails
on
hostingrails.com and upgrade from there if i have performance issues.

well after looking over I think i will end up going with vps. who do
you think is the best vps to go with? is there any reason to go with
the ruby vps sites or just some generic cheaper vps hosting which i
can
install my own ruby and configure my own apache? (other than the
specialized tech support)

I used both linode and slicehost, who both start at $20 a month. At
that sort of price you do have to do all the setup yourself (slicehost
have a very good set of articles on how to setup just about anything,
including everything you need for a rails app).

Fred

OVH have a really interesting offer.
Your own RAM, your own CPU, and shared San storage :
http://www.ovh.co.uk/individual/products/rps_offers.xml

+1 SliceHost

Very happy.

Peace,
Phillip

Phillip Koebbe wrote:

+1 SliceHost

Very happy.

Peace,
Phillip

i ended up going with slicehost. i'll let you know what i find out!

Scott Kulik wrote:

Phillip Koebbe wrote:

+1 SliceHost

Very happy.

Peace,
Phillip

i ended up going with slicehost. i'll let you know what i find out!

Maybe too late, but I'm also very happy with SliceHost, although you
could've tried DreamHost, as now that they're using Passenger maybe they
don't suck so much for Rails hosting.

- Ivan V.