TinyMCE and image upload

Hi All

Im using Blake’s tinyMCE plugin. I want to add image upload functionality or at least image browse - the standard tinyMCE image pop-up doesn’t really provide for a great user experience.

What is the best route to follow. Are there any rails friendly plugins to allow for a image browser and uploader through tiny?

Regards Ivor

There’s the attachment_fu plug-in from…

http://technoweenie.stikipad.com/plugins/

I haven’t ported my projects to using it yet and instead have been using acts_as_attachment (available from the same developer) which is the older plug-in. It’s been very good, so I expect attachment_fu will only be better.

Jose

Jose Hales-Garcia

UCLA Department of Statistics

jose@stat.ucla.edu

The port to attachment fu is easy - just take the plunge.

however, attachment_fu isn’t going to help with tinyMCE? or does it? has anyone done this before. if not, are there any other solutions that work specifically with TinyMCE

regards

Attachment_fu is indeed a much improved version of acts_as_attachment, both in terms of functionality and plugin code.

Best regards

Peter De Berdt

The only way you’ll get tight integration, is by modifying tinyMCE to use Rails as a backend instead of the php script it now uses (or split out tinyMCE related stuff to a different subdomain that is run through the php interpreter, but I don’t like that solution too much).

Best regards

Peter De Berdt

Ah, that’s what I wanted to hear. Have you changed tiny to work with Rails as backend? What would the approach be to do this?

Would you use the “insertimage_callback” option and to what would you point that. Just looking for a bit more direction with this, but it sounds like the approach I would like to take.

thanks for the help ivor

Sorry, no I didn’t, because I’m not such a big fan of the HTML WYSIWYG editors spit out (or whatever you want to call the junk it spits out). Take out a few hours and experiment, it can’t be too hard.

Best regards

Peter De Berdt

Cool, thanks.

I dont like them either, but the clients…oy vey :slight_smile:

Sorry, slightly OT, but what does PHP have to do with tinyMCE?

Sorry, no I didn’t, because I’m not such a big fan of the HTML WYSIWYG editors spit out (or whatever you want to call the junk it spits out). Take out a few hours and experiment, it can’t be too hard.

I also hate WYSIWYG editors, but i open an exception to tinyMCE because it makes stuff XHTML 1.1 compliant and doesnt throws styles and spans for every goddamn change you make. Usually it writes down html exactly the way i would have. It also allows you to specificy a css source, so it loads and previews your styles in real time. Give it a try if you havent, i wasn`t disappointed with it!

I tried it not too long ago and still don’t like the way it works or some of the code it produces. But my gripes mostly have to do with the way tinymce was written and how bloated it is in a way. However, if I would have to choose between TinyMCE or FCKEditor, I would still prefer TinyMCE. However, I found out about CKEditor a couple of weeks ago (http://ckeditor.com/demo), which is a totally rewritten FCKEditor and seems to tackle all the problems I have with the previously mentioned libraries.

And there is a lot of tutorials on how to do file upload using tinyMCE with PHP, which is probably why people were refering to it…

I am also trying to get file upload working and file browsing, and will write some feedback when i get those working.

Converting PHP code to Ruby/Rails code shouldn’t be all too hard if the API is written in a consistent way and (that’s quite a while back though) TinyMCE was really flawed there when I tried to get it working properly. Good luck though, great to see people trying to get Rails and TinyMCE working together.

Best regards

Peter De Berdt