threadsafe! & engines

I posted this on the talk list and didn't get a response. Perhaps this is a more appropriate list:

I'm having a problem with rails 2.3.2, engines, and eager loading. There is a default set of eager_load_paths (the usual suspects under app/) that will be greedily required by rails at boot time when you're running with threadsafe! (cache_classes) on, and of course you can append your own custom paths. However, so far as I can tell, engines are never eagerly loaded and therefore unavailable when the system is running in threadsafe! mode.

First, I'd like to know if I'm missing something. I looked through the plugin loader, found the code that loads the engines, and could not discover how, if at all, it attempts to eager load them. I also explored the rails initializer in railties, found the eager loading code, and didn't see anything related to plugins there.

So far as workarounds go it appears subclassing the plugin loader is the best option. I've attached a working loader the end of this message.

Your help is greatly appreciated

regards,

-Tyler Jennings

lib/eager_loader.rb:

class EagerLoader < Rails::Plugin::Loader   def add_plugin_load_paths     super     engines.each do |engine|       if configuration.cache_classes         configuration.eager_load_paths += engine.load_paths       end     end   end end

config/environment.rb:

require File.join(File.dirname(__FILE__), '..', 'lib', 'eager_loader') ... config.plugin_loader = EagerLoader

So far as workarounds go it appears subclassing the plugin loader is the best option. I've attached a working loader the end of this message.

I'd be interested in a patch which implements this in general.

Another (related) issue is that engine controllers aren't put on the reloading paths, meaning you get weird errors if you subclass ApplicationController in a plugin.

Fixing both of these seems like the right thing to do.