The Rails Way ebook ?

A couple of sites are advertising PDF versions of this book. But I suspect they are not PDF's but DRM versions that require the Adobe 'Digital Editions' reader.

For example, this site:

Or this Russian site, which seems to be offering either a good PDF or a stolen PDF (They also want to run some activeXcontrol) : http://avaxsphere.com/ebooks/programming_development/Rail_Way.html

I tried to order the DRM ebook through diesel-ebooks but they seem to be having problems, won't answer my questions, and do not provide a download. I don't know if they'll bill my credit card, either. It's been 4 days since I ordered the book.

Has anybody successfully gotten the ebook version of 'The Rails Way' ? Where ?

f

Nope. And I was looking for it just a couple of days ago too.

DRM ebooks are hilarious. Like that isn't gonna get reversed and uploaded.

I might be able to find a copy of the .pdf ebook if you ask nicely. I'm not at home right now, otherwise I would have checked for you.

If you email me I'll see what I can do tonight.

-Ryan

--Jeremy

Hey Ryan,

I might be able to find a copy of the .pdf ebook if you ask nicely. I'm not at home right now, otherwise I would have checked for you.

If you email me I'll see what I can do tonight.

-Ryan

Has anybody successfully gotten the ebook version of 'The Rails Way' ? Where ?

Nope. And I was looking for it just a couple of days ago too.

(if I misunderstood my apologies, but it sounds like you're a warez kid)

People (including Obie and myself, and slew of hard working rails folks) put a bunch of effort into that book.

Ripping it off is disrespectful - you will be remembered for the suggestion to do so.

cheers, Jodi

No, no. I just thought I had a copy somewhere. I know I have a couple of different rails books, I just don't know which ones. (I should probably get to reading... but I'm too busy getting thru RailSpace and Calculus at the same time).

Besides, he said he paid for it, or at least tried, so that's the only reason I even offered to look.

Best,

Ryan

I was looking at this book over the weekend at Borders and I must admit, this one, the Agile Web Dev w/ Rails & Rails Recipes are books you want by your side. It might be a little expensive but it's worth it. I have the 2nd two and will probably get this one soon. Check it out Ryan.

I was thinking about reading Agile Web Dev sometime. But I bought RailsSpace first since I needed something that dealt directly with a lot of what I was doing (creating users, giving them profiles, etc etc). I think I might buy that one next though.... but probably not until I finish Calculus 2. I am only allotted so much time just to think per day, lol. I haven't seen Rails Recipes, yet though.

-Ryan

I have 2 copies left - if anybody wants to pay for a courier I'd be happy to set them free and relieve my sagging bookshelf.

First 2 replies will get a copy - Then I'll email you off-list to coordinate a courier.

Btw - I'm in Canada - that'll impact your shipping rates.

cheers, Jodi

having already purchased a hard cover (it really is a great book), i would be pleased to purchase a non-drm pdf--pragprog's style would be fine with me, but i do not want to be forced to use the crippled adobe drm-pdf reader a la dieselbooks, nor do i want an html version (or pdf-indiv chapters) a la oreilly [they need to get their s**t together on the ebook wagon--safari indeed]. that said, i would be happy to download a grey version until a legit is available.

so, remember away.

thanks, chris

Ooo, if shipping is under $15 then I'd go for that ^_^. Otherwise I can probably buy it at BNN with my discount sticker for cheap.

(That is if I haven't already paid for a copy. But it still might be nice to have a physical book to hold onto... my bookshelf is kinda empty right now.)

From Canada... hmm... I just did a quick estimate of shipping cost using ups... came to like $100. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. :slight_smile:

Diesel-ebooks just took too long to respond. I told them that if they ever find my order to cancel it. I'll be too old to read it by then. Diesel said they looked for the order under one of the two email addresses I gave them but didn't say which one. I asked which and while waiting for the reply I went and bought it for less money in less time at informit.com. Informit has a policy that the first ebook (or maybe any book) you buy from them gets a hefty discount.

Recommended: Informit.com

If you're building an e-commerce site, see if yours measures up to theirs.

f

Diesel-ebooks just took too long to respond. I told them that if they ever find my order to cancel it. I'll be too old to read it by then. Diesel said they looked for the order under one of the two email addresses I gave them but didn't say which one. I asked which and while waiting for the reply I went and bought it for less money in less time at informit.com. Informit has a policy that the first ebook (or maybe any book) you buy from them gets a hefty discount.

Recommended: Informit.com

If you're building an e-commerce site, see if yours measures up to theirs.

f

I'm using Firefox 3 Beta 2, and they have a bug. Refreshing with F5 resubmits the previous post, even if it isn't on the screen...

f

Hey people, The Rails Way watermarked DRM-free PDF versions are coming soon according to my publisher. (They can’t get here soon enough afaic)