The Depot application error

Hello, I am new to RoR; I am trying to follow the Pragmatic programmer's Depot application. In the Iteration A1: Get something running - I am following all the steps as listed - 1. Create a Rails application using 'Rails Depot' on the command prompt 2. Creating the databases in MySQL 3. I check the configuration using 'rake db:migrate' and it seems to give the right output 4. I create the model using 'ruby script/generate model Product' and then edit the Products table using the guidance in the book and the rails gives the output that seems to confirm that the table is generated successfully. 5. I then perform 'rake db:migrate' again to ensure the updates to the table are performed. 6. I then create the controller using 'ruby script/generate controller Admin' and the script works just fine; I then edit the file 'admin_controller.rb' file to add scaffold using the command 'scaffold :product'

When i try to run using the URL localhost:3000/admin - I am getting the following error: undefined method `scaffold' for AdminController:Class.

Please help. I appreciate any tips and guidance in advance.

Thanks!

Scaffolding is deprecated in Rails 2.0

To re-install it type script/plugin install scaffolding

How is being moved to a plugin considered deprecation?

I used the wrong wording.

In installed the scaffolding It has now started giving me the undefined method `paginate' for #<AdminController:0x31971b8>

error. I have since installed the Pagianate plugin from ruby script/plugin install svn://errtheblog.com/svn/plugins/will_paginate

You need the classic pagination plugin from the same place.

Fred

That’d be script/plugin install classic_pagination

Ravi,

You're probably going to run into other stuff like this when using
documentation written for Rails < 2.0 on your shinny new 2.0.x
application. There are notable differences between 1.2.x and 2.0.x, so
if you can use some documentation written with 2.0.x in mind, you
might have a smoother experience.

Preston

Ravi Kukreja wrote:

I am new to RoR; I am trying to follow the Pragmatic programmer's Depot application. ... When i try to run using the URL localhost:3000/admin - I am getting the following error: undefined method `scaffold' for AdminController:Class.

Please help. I appreciate any tips and guidance in advance.

The book documents use with Rails 1.2 and the latest rails gem version is 2.0. For someone trying to learn by using the book this will create a list of problems as you go along. A number of things have changed.

Instead it might be better for you to remove all of your current gems related to rails (e.g. rails, action*, etc. find with 'gem list') and then reinstall rails 1.2.6.

gem install rails --version 1.2.6 --include-dependencies

That will cause your installed version of rails to be 1.2.6 and will then match the book. You should be able to work through all of the examples and I imagine that you will have a better learning experience in general.

Work quickly through the book's examples. Then after having learned what you can using the rails 1.2.6 material you can upgrade to the latest rails 2.x and have a much easier time.

Bob

Ryan Bigg wrote:

I used the wrong wording.

Greg Donald http://destiney.com/

>

-- Ryan Bigg http://www.frozenplague.net Feel free to add me to MSN and/or GTalk as this email.

Hi I use the Agile web development using Rails Manual. I too have the problem with the plugins. I have an error 'undefined method `paginate' for #<AdminController:0xb6726f58>', even after installing scaffolding plugin and will_paginate plugin. Please help me