error when following Agile Web Development in RoR

I was originally using instant rails, and decided to try installing ruby, rails, and mysql on my own. No problem with the install. I used gem install rails --include-dependencies, and got no errors. The problem seems to be with defining the scaffold method. I had no problems with this in Instant Rails, and i’m guessing this has something to do with Rails 2.0. Would the RoR gurus please lend a hand, and guide me to the light?

thanks,

Jason

NoMethodError in AdminController#index

undefined method `scaffold’ for AdminController:Class

RAILS_ROOT: /Users/jason/rails/depot

Application Trace | Framework Trace | Full Trace

app/controllers/admin_controller.rb:2

If I'm not mistaken, the issue you're having is due to the fact that scaffolding has been deprecated as of Rails 2.0. If that's the case, it might be a bit hard for a Rails newbie to follow along with AWDwR.

I'm pretty n00b-ish myself, so am I totally wrong about this? If I'm not, does anyone out there have any suggestions for alternative tutorials that don't presuppose scaffolding?

I'm not sure deprecated is the right term, it (dynamic scaffolding as opposed to generated scaffolds) has been moved out of the core and into a plugin in Rails 2.0. Another thing which has been moved out of core are db adapters for commercial databases like Oracle, and SQL server, these are now separate gems.

For the most part Rails 2.0 is pretty compatible with 1.2.x, however, it's probably different enough to trip up n00bs working through things like AWDWR 2nd ed. I don't know that there's a really good in-depth beginners tutorial on Rails 2.0 yet. I'd probably advise folks starting out with Rails right now to install rails 1.2.x and use that while following AWDWR.

If someone wants to persist in using AWDWR with Rails 2.0, one hint is to check the plugin repository at http://svn.rubyonrails.org/rails/plugins/ if you run into a missing function like this.

The new book "The Rails Way" looks like a very good resource on Rails 2.0 for those with some rails experience under their belt, but it's really not structured as a beginner's book.

I got the AWDWR 2nd ed for Xmas. I just ran into the "undefined method `scaffold' for AdminController:Class" error working on my "depoot" example. I am running on OS X and installed Rails 2.0.2. Someone suggested I use Rails 1.2. How do I back out 2.0 and go back to 1.2? I installed it as a "package" on OS X. It installed in /usr/local/bin. Do I just delete it? Can rails stand alone, or do I need all the other stuff? Maybe the scaffold plug in is easier. Can someone explain in detail how to add that plug in?

I'm a java developer w/Unix experience, so I'm not totally clueless, but I am very new to Rails and Ruby.

Thanks!

Search for rails freeze command, use it to go back to version 1.2.6

The easiest way by far is to just download Locomotive. It's self-contained, and is removed simply by dragging its folder to the trash. You'll be up and running in about two minutes after your download completes.

For even extra easiness, download MAMP as well, and have a self-contained MySQL install as well.

Jason, I've found the same trouble installing ruby on rails on Windows. I've tried to install the ruby plugin but failed. You need to do a few little changes from the original rubyonrails.org website. Here is the installation I did:

1) install ruby from www.rubyonrails.org/down. 2) Because ruby changes your path settings, open a NEW command prompt and    install gems like is told on the www.rubyonrails.org/down website. In the    new command prompt type "ruby setup.rb". 3) Install the correct rails with the scaffolding. If you already installed the    latest rails 2.x then uninstall it with "gem uninstall rails". Then do the    rails install with version 1.2.6. Type    "gem install rails --version 1.2.6 --include-dependencies" 4) Looking at all the different directories, rails creates, I need the projec    manager. After trying out several I found "Intype" which is very small and    just do the needful in a nice view. Its still in beta and therefore its    still free. Download from:    "http://intype.info/home/index.php"\. You can download both the editor and    the project manager (I've used rarzilla for the rar file). 5) Download and install the freeware package of MySQL. I'm using the essentials    package. You need to register though. 6) Create your work direcory (I'm using c:\webserver\test). If you want to    follow the "Hello" example from the Agile book then type:    "rails Hello"    cd into the "Hello" directory.    Open the webserver with "ruby script/server".    Open the webpage with "http://localhost:3000" and check the    "about your application's environment" for the installed versions etcetera.

Wish you good luck