testing chapter: agile web dev withrails

I am working my way through Agile web development with rails and I'm in the testing chapter. when I run the following test(or any other test) I'm new and not sure where to start looking.

require 'test_helper'

class ProductTest < ActiveSupport::TestCase   # Replace this with your real tests.   test "the truth" do     assert true   end end

I always get

ActiveRecord::StatementInvalid: SQLite3::SQLException: table users has no column named image_url: INSERT INTO "users" ("created_at", "image_url", "title", "updated_at", "id", "description") VALUES ('2010-12-06 16:04:02', 'MyString', 'MyString', '2010-12-06 16:04:02', 298486374, 'MyText')

John Sayeau wrote in post #966558:

I am working my way through Agile web development with rails and I'm in the testing chapter. when I run the following test(or any other test) I'm new and not sure where to start looking.

Read the error message! It tells you what you need to know.

Bonus tip: once you finish the testing tutorial, check out RSpec as a replacement for Test::Unit and factories (Machinist or FactoryGirl) as a replacement for fixtures. They're much nicer tools than the ones provided by the core team.

require 'test_helper'

class ProductTest < ActiveSupport::TestCase   # Replace this with your real tests.   test "the truth" do     assert true   end end

I always get

ActiveRecord::StatementInvalid: SQLite3::SQLException: table users has no column named image_url: INSERT INTO "users" ("created_at", "image_url", "title", "updated_at", "id", "description") VALUES ('2010-12-06 16:04:02', 'MyString', 'MyString', '2010-12-06 16:04:02', 298486374, 'MyText')

Best,

I get that the error says that it's trying to insert inappropriate data into the users table. It looks like I just need to find out why it's picking the users table instead of the products table. I don't know where the insert is coming from.

Please quote when replying.

John Sayeau wrote in post #966562:

I get that the error says that it's trying to insert inappropriate data into the users table. It looks like I just need to find out why it's picking the users table instead of the products table. I don't know where the insert is coming from.

Rails always gives a line number as part of its stack trace when errors are generated. If looking there is not sufficient, then perhaps you should use the debugger to step through your code and find out. Or write more tests to figure out where the failure is.

Best,

So *does* your test database have such a column? Have you maybe created a migration previously to add it, but not run migrations on your test db?

If the error occurs before it actually starts running the tests and happens whatever test you are running it may be an issue with loading the fixtures into the test database. Have you got fixtures for the users table (probably test/fixtures/users.yml)? Have you got image_url specified in the fixture but not in the database?

Once you have worked through the tutorial then I would advise forgetting about fixtures and using Factories instead.

Colin

Colin Law wrote in post #966572: [...]

Once you have worked through the tutorial then I would advise forgetting about fixtures and using Factories instead.

Amen to that. Fixtures are evil, so much so that I no longer believe that *any* test environment using fixtures can be considered a proper testing environment.

Colin

Best,

Colin Law wrote in post #966572:

If the error occurs before it actually starts running the tests and happens whatever test you are running it may be an issue with loading the fixtures into the test database. Have you got fixtures for the users table (probably test/fixtures/users.yml)? Have you got image_url specified in the fixture but not in the database?

Colin

pretty sure this is the problem. For some reason the generated users.yml and the generated products.yml file are the same. Just started this chapter about an hour ago so I don't exactly understand what these files are for yet...thanks. I'll just try editing the users.yml file to get it to reflect the columns in the table.

Maybe Because I'm running rails 2.3.5 and the book uses something lower I have something different fixtures. I swapped in the ones from the book's source and now it works. I hope I get an explanation as to fixtures use as I go on in the book...thanks.

This is what was in my users.yml file:

# Read about fixtures at http://ar.rubyonrails.org/classes/Fixtures.html

one:   title: MyString   description: MyText   image_url: MyString

two:   title: MyString   description: MyText   image_url: MyString

I looked at the source code from the book and for users.yml, it is this:

<% SALT = "NaCl" unless defined?(SALT) %>

dave:   name: dave   salt: <%= SALT %>   hashed_password: <%= User.encrypted_password('secret', SALT) %>

Maybe Because I'm running rails 2.3.5 and the book uses something lower I have something different fixtures. I swapped in the ones from the book's source and now it works. I hope I get an explanation as to fixtures use as I go on in the book...thanks.

This is what was in my users.yml file:

# Read about fixtures at http://ar.rubyonrails.org/classes/Fixtures.html

one: title: MyString description: MyText image_url: MyString

two: title: MyString description: MyText image_url: MyString

I would have expected the fixtures to have been generated when you generated the model. Are you sure you put the right fields in when you generated the user model? Check back in your source control system and see when you created it. The fixtures should match the migration created at the same time. If you are not using a source control system then install git and start using it. The few hours learning curve (if you do not already use it) will be recovered many times over.

Colin

I would have expected the fixtures to have been generated when you generated the model. Are you sure you put the right fields in when you generated the user model?

That makes sense except the user model looks correct. Unless I made a mistake the first time I generated the model and then fixed it and then forgot that I fixed it...? I think to fix it, though, I would have regenerated the model which I would have thought would regenerate the fixture. I'll have to experiment and see...