Tailing Development Log

I'm in Chapter 6 of the RoR Tutorial and can't seem to get the command 'tail -f log/development.log' to work. I'm trying to run it in a sanboxed Rails console, here's the output of what's going on:

Trenton-Scotts-MacBook-Air:sample_app TTS$ rails c --sandbox Loading development environment in sandbox (Rails 3.0.3) Any modifications you make will be rolled back on exit ruby-1.9.2-p136 :001 > tail -f log/development.log SyntaxError: (irb):1: syntax error, unexpected tIDENTIFIER, expecting keyword_do or '{' or '(' tail -f log/development.log            ^   from /Users/TTS/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p136/gems/railties-3.0.3/lib/ rails/commands/console.rb:44:in `start'   from /Users/TTS/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p136/gems/railties-3.0.3/lib/ rails/commands/console.rb:8:in `start'   from /Users/TTS/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p136/gems/railties-3.0.3/lib/ rails/commands.rb:23:in `<top (required)>'   from script/rails:6:in `require'   from script/rails:6:in `<main>' ruby-1.9.2-p136 :002 >

Any thoughts?

I'm in Chapter 6 of the RoR Tutorial and can't seem to get the command 'tail -f log/development.log' to work. I'm trying to run it in a sanboxed Rails console, here's the output of what's going on:

You run that from a terminal window, not from The rails console.

Fred