Sync with legacy database

Hi all,

I want to synchronise contacts in a rails DB with a legacy MySQL table that is in use with a Perl CGI app. A straight import isn't really good enough, it needs to be something that can be run every so often and import new contacts, ideally changed contacts as well.

I'm new to Rails - is there any infrastructure for this task or do I need to code it from scratch? Should I even be looking to do this in Rails?

Antony Gelberg wrote:

Hi all,

I want to synchronise contacts in a rails DB with a legacy MySQL table that is in use with a Perl CGI app. A straight import isn't really good enough, it needs to be something that can be run every so often and import new contacts, ideally changed contacts as well.

I'm new to Rails - is there any infrastructure for this task or do I need to code it from scratch? Should I even be looking to do this in Rails?

Use Observer (http://api.rubyonrails.org/classes/ActiveRecord/Observer.html) for Rails DB to legacy DB sync. For the other way round you have to implement something in the Perl CGI app.