svn_add ala merb

I added a new rake task that does what merb's rake task: svn_add does. Basically, when you run the rake task it checks to see what files have not been added to your svn repo and adds them.

thoughts/+1's/-1's/whatever :slight_smile:

Robert,

Could you please post a link to the ticket with patch in the Rails Trac? Thanks.

MK void@novemberain.com http://novemberain.com

Robert,

Why should this belong to a web framework? It is everyone’s right to use an SCM other than Subversion and to build a development environment around that on their own. Personally I keep such stuff in shell aliases and scripts, such as this one for bash:

alias svnaddall=‘svn status | grep “^?” | awk “{print $2}” | xargs svn add’

I really don’t think a web framework should know about, care for or become optimized in any way for a specific SCM, regardless of whether or not 95% of developers use Subversion. SCM helpers, scripts and tools should be distributed outside of framework core.

• Mislav

I forgot to mention how Rails supports Subversion in generators and script/plugin. While this is great and very useful, I don’t think it should go further than that, especially not in form of new rake tasks (there is a great number of them already).

Mislav :

I really don't think a web framework should know about, care for or become optimized in any way for a specific SCM, regardless of whether or not 95% of developers use Subversion. SCM helpers, scripts and tools should be distributed outside of framework core.

Are you suggesting to remove all the Subversion-related features in Rails ?

Here are some examples showing that Rails is not SCM-agnostic and Subversion-opiniated :

- Rake task 'test:uncommitted ', - all the plugin installation system, - '--svn' option for Rails generator ...

(I don't include the Rake tasks to freeze Rails in vendor / )

-- Jean-François.

Mislav :

I forgot to mention how Rails supports Subversion in generators and script/plugin. While this is great and very useful, I don't think it should go further than that, especially not in form of new rake tasks (there is a great number of them already).

Ok, I've got my answer. I read your answer after sending my mail :slight_smile:

-- Jean-François.

Yeah, I suppose a link would help :0 http://dev.rubyonrails.org/ticket/10864

Mislav: Since Rails has support for subversion out of the box, adding 1 rake task didn't seem to me to make a decision for someone to "have" to use svn. Just like the current support for svn in Rails, this is an added convenience.

Yeah, I suppose a link would help :0 http://dev.rubyonrails.org/ticket/10864

Mislav: Since Rails has support for subversion out of the box, adding 1 rake task didn't seem to me to make a decision for someone to "have" to use svn. Just like the current support for svn in Rails, this is an added convenience.

I have to side with mislav and co. I think our current level of svn support is nice enough but to take it further doesn't seem justified.