streaming FLV in RoR

I am working on development of an RoR site that needs to display a small streaming video on a page. My first choice is to use Flash 8 and the off the shelf skins for playback controls. Anyone have experience using this and deploying to RoR?

well you would deploy it the same way you would a flash file. just use the streaming flash instead. ever do streaming flash?

I am working on development of an RoR site that needs to display a small streaming video on a page. My first choice is to use Flash 8 and the off the shelf skins for playback controls. Anyone have experience using this and deploying to RoR?

We announced an open source Rails Flash video streaming solution on this mailing list just yesterday. Check it out at http://www.nedforce.nl.

Flowplayer....

"FlowPlayer is a free Flash video player. You can easily embed it into HTML pages to play FLV files. FlowPlayer supports progressive downloading and true streaming."

I'm appreciative of the replies I got on this topic. Part of the problem has been that I can't really test the outcome locally, SVN and a file repository are in use on a web server development environment. Here's how I ended up handling it. I'm using swfobject.js to ensure browser/platform compatibility. Repository and live files are on separate domains 1. upload flv to web server where live files reside 2. Create FLA file 3. import flv from webserver location, using absolute URL (http:// www.domainname.com/swf/video.flv 4. specify skin using relative URL (/swf/SkinName.swf) 5. publish swf 6. use swfobject-compatible code in rhtml file:   <script type="text/javascript" src="swfobject.js"></script>

<div id="flashcontent">     This text is replaced by the Flash movie.   </div>

<script type="text/javascript">      var so = new SWFObject("/swf/SWFname.swf", "SWFame", "320", "280", "8", "#ffffff");      so.write("flashcontent");   </script> 7. commit files to web server repository 8. update to live webserver