Stop developing Rails !!!

I've to agree to a certain extent with Bob. I started developing on Rails couple of months ago and almost stopped entirely due to the lack of relevant and up to date online literature. The API page is no better (if not worse) than JavaDocs, which is to say pretty useless. Most, if not all, of the available tutorials are outdated and incompatible with newer versions of Rails. DaveThomas' book is great to be sure, but not a substitute for readily available online lit. When you're trying to get people on board, you need to make sure those people have all they need in order to be productive and start using your framework in a real-world fashion. By not having robust (and up to date) literature you simply are implicitily fending off would-be adopters. It's not a matter of being lazy or not putting some effort, it's a matter of getting past the hype and hooplah and opening the framework to everyone who wants to take a stab at it.

Bob ha escrito:

<...>

It's not a matter of being lazy or not putting some effort, it's a matter of getting past the hype and hooplah and opening the framework to everyone who wants to take a stab at it.

<...>

I still think this is the matter of being lazy. Also, I do not think it is a good idea to open it to everyone.

"These people should not be helped. There is an informal mountaineering rule that you never help incompetents up a mountain to killed higher up, only down, to get out alive."

http://www.intertwingly.net/blog/2003/04/03/Bruce-Eckel-said-SOAP-sucks#c1049439459

Regards, Rimantas

"I still think this is the matter of being lazy. Also, I do not think it is a good idea to open it to everyone. "

Very opinionated answer there. I'm sure the developers of Rails DO WANT to give access to whoever wants it. If you don't, I strongly advise to start your own framework with your own exclusive rules.

So now we take advice on how to treat users and fellow developers from a Java guy?

I'm sure you can fork Rails and have fun with your "smart" community of people who "get it." I'm pretty sure the Rails core would rather leave theirs open.

--Jeremy