Staying in the same browser window ?

Ram wrote:

I am a newbie to RoR. I have the following question:          Suppose there is a link in a view (MyView) which opens          a third party graphics application(3PGA). The control          returns back to Rails after manipulation in 3PGA. But          the problem is now MyView opens up a new browser window.          I wish to stay in the current window itself. How do          I do it?

This sounds like a problem with the way the 'third party graphics application' is re-launching the URL in the browser. Doesn't seem like it's a Rails-related problem.

Is the 'third party graphics application' an actual separate application that is running on the user's computer? Or does it run in the browser somehow?

Chris

Ram wrote:

> This sounds like a problem with the way the 'third party graphics > application' is re-launching the URL in the browser. Doesn't seem like > it's a Rails-related problem. >   May be not.. because there is already the same application   with coldfusion that is able to open in the previous browser   window itself.

Your best bet will be to compare the HTML that is being produced by Rails, and see how it is different from the HTML that the Coldfusion version is producing. Maybe there is some different parameters being passed to the GIS app, or there's some different JavaScript or something.

Also, have a look at the URL in the browser address bar, and the URL that the GIS app is generating -- there's a slight chance that it's to due to some odd discrepancy between URLs that didn't exist in the Coldfusion version.

But generally, apart from the contents of the HTML and the URLs involved, I can't see any way that anything on the server-side that will affect whether your browser opens the URL in a new window or in the same window. It really doesn't look like a Rails-specific problem.

Chris