State of Ruby and ROR

New year is comming and I would like to clear some questions on the future of Ruby and ROR.

1. We see that Ruby 1.8.7 is default on ubuntu 8.10. In the past there were problems with ROR and ruby 1.8.7. Have this problems been resolved?

2. Short after New year Ruby 1.9 will be considered stable and the question is Is ROR ready for Ruby 1.9 and are there any speed in improvments?

by TheR

Damjan Rems wrote:

New year is comming and I would like to clear some questions on the future of Ruby and ROR.

1. We see that Ruby 1.8.7 is default on ubuntu 8.10. In the past there were problems with ROR and ruby 1.8.7. Have this problems been resolved?

2. Short after New year Ruby 1.9 will be considered stable and the question is Is ROR ready for Ruby 1.9 and are there any speed in improvments?

by TheR

As far as I understand it the latest versions of Rails does support Ruby 1.9. I hear though that not all gems and plugins are ready for Ruby 1.9, but I imagine the major ones will be ready in time for Ruby 1.9 to be considered "production" ready.

I've not heard anything on Ruby 1.8.7. I continue to use the Ruby that comes with Leopard on my development boxes and tend to try to stick with that for deployment as well. I suppose I'll consider Ruby 1.9 more seriously when Apple decides it ready enough to include it in Mac OS X. That is, of course, unless there is a compelling reason to move to it sooner than that.