Speed

Hi! What can i do to speed up executing my Rails app on my personal PC at home on localhost? It's really slllooooooow. I have Pentium 3GHz (1 core), 512MB RAM, Windows XP and i deploy my app as JRuby on GlassFish V3. Help please...

Install Linux? (either by dual boot or just throw away windows)

Best regards

Peter De Berdt

no alternative idea?

Rav wrote:

no alternative idea?    FreeBSD seems nice too...

You use an OS reputed to be bloatware and run a JVM (which isn't reputed to be a lightweight piece of software either) to run Ruby on a 512MB system. What do you expect?

If you have money to spend, buy memory (but know that you won't get the most out of your system if you don't use Unix, Ruby on Windows is slow even if you use JRuby). If you only have time, install an OS that can be trimmed down easily, learn to use it and run bare Ruby on it. If you have neither, prey for a miracle.

Lionel

Also, if you are running things in development mode, the files are reloaded each time a page is hit. In production these are loaded once and cached.

Lastly, I use NetBSD. But anything is better than windoze.

Boo to the naysayers. Windows works just fine for Rails development. Production deployment is also possible but there are many caveats.

My book outlines how to install everything on Windows to work just fine for development purposes.

You can get the PDF at http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/railsonwindows/

However, I cannot vouch for the performance of JRuby on Windows. I imagine that this additional layer might not work as well as standard Ruby.

Can you try deploying with the One click Ruby installer and Mongrel? This would allow you to determine if it’s JRuby.

Add RAM before you try anything else. 512Mb is not enough to run all that.

I agree, definitely add more RAM. At least 1GB, even 2GB would be pretty inexpensive.

I agree, definitely add more RAM. At least 1GB, even 2GB would be pretty inexpensive.

> Hi! > What can i do to speed up executing my Rails app on my personal PC at > home on localhost? It's really slllooooooow. > I have Pentium 3GHz (1 core), 512MB RAM, Windows XP and i deploy my > app as JRuby on GlassFish V3. > Help please...

I use Rails on various systems and several XP among them. It works fine on all of them. Even I do not use JRuby the OS is no problem for RoR development. You should see what takes the most of the processing time from log times. Also you should measure how much resources are you taken from the system (task manager). Then you probably have a better view how is responsible for slowness. If you use NetBeans it is possible that you have not enough memory and than swapping is killing the performance.