specific table id...

I tried to save records with specific ids, but without any success ...

@date = Time.now.to_date     tour_id = (@date.year.to_s + @date.month.to_s + @date.day.to_s).to_i

@tour = Tour.new(:id => tour_id, :scheduled_on => @date, :carts => @cart_works) @tour.save!

id should be something like 20080918 (there could be only one record per day...)

but it's stil using an incremental id... 1

(I am using sqlite3 dev...)

thanks for any help

The Rails convension for database table ids is that they have absolutely no meaning in and of themselves.

So the 'Rails Way' to do this is to have a separate column (maybe called date_as_int) to store this. Then put a unique index on the column and have validates_uniquness_of :date_as_int in the database.

If this is impossible (and I can't think why it could be) then you have to alter your database table to remove the auto-increment from the id column. (A standard Rails migration automatically adds an id column and sets it to auto increment.) I can pretty much guarantee that if you try this you will give yourself all sorts of headaches in both the short-term and the long term. You really should follow the Rails convension and store this information in a separate column.

Erwin wrote: