Sort model based on max value of has_many field

Hi,

I have models such as:

class Team < ActiveRecord::Base    has_many :games end

class Game< ActiveRecord::Base    belongs_to :team end

So there are many (well, 0 to 6) games for each team. Team game has a "score". I would like to get a list of the teams, sorted by the highest scoring game - sort of a ranking based on highest score. I've tried several cominations of find and sort, but can't figure it out. I did add a helper to the Team model:

def high_score   matches.maximum(:score) end

but still am not sure how to get what I want. I basically want to display a list of the teams, ranked by their highest score.

One stickler is, any given team may not have any games at a given time, so team.matches may be null...

Thanks!

jt

maybe something like so:

class Team < ActiveRecord::Base   has_many :games

def self.by_high_score     self.all(              :select => 'teams.id, teams.name, max(games.score)',              :joins => 'left join games on team_id = teams.id',              :group => 'teams.id',              :order => 'score desc',              :conditions => 'score is not null'     )   end

end

def self.by_high_score     self.all(              :select => 'teams.id, teams.name, max(games.score)',              :joins => 'left join games on team_id = teams.id',              :group => 'teams.id',              :order => 'score desc',              :conditions => 'score is not null'     )   end

While this will probably work just fine, I would recommend caching the high score in a attribute of the Team model. This would be very similar to the counter_cache feature that Rails provides. This way your sorting could be handled by a very simple named route. It would also be many times more efficient since there is no join to deal with.

The trade-off is that you need additional logic to update the cached value when necessary, and in making sure that you always rely on your model's business logic to manage the cache. I personally think that the performance gained though this technique is well worth the trade-off in case where performance may be a significant factor.