Some error while installing RedMine no idea what it is

I am using a Debian Lenny system. I did the following to install RedMine as mentioned on their wiki page

ruby 1.8.7 Rails 2.3.5 and Rack 1.0.1 redmine-0.9.3 are present on my system.

If I do which rails I do not get any output.

ruby script/server -e production

Following error is coming

/redmine# ruby script/server -e production ./script/../config/../vendor/rails/railties/lib/rails/ vendor_gem_source_index.rb:1:in `require': no such file to load -- rubygems (LoadError)   from ./script/../config/../vendor/rails/railties/lib/rails/ vendor_gem_source_index.rb:1   from ./script/../config/../vendor/rails/railties/lib/rails/ gem_dependency.rb:1:in `require'   from ./script/../config/../vendor/rails/railties/lib/rails/ gem_dependency.rb:1   from ./script/../config/../vendor/rails/railties/lib/initializer.rb: 10:in `require'   from ./script/../config/../vendor/rails/railties/lib/initializer.rb: 10   from ./script/../config/boot.rb:45:in `require'   from ./script/../config/boot.rb:45:in `load_initializer'   from ./script/../config/boot.rb:38:in `run'   from ./script/../config/boot.rb:11:in `boot!'   from ./script/../config/boot.rb:110   from script/server:2:in `require'   from script/server:2

looks like it's trying to load the rails source from the RAILS_ROOT/ vendor directory. i'm not sure if redmine comes w/ it's own version of rails. when you type "which rails" on the command line, you should get a path returned. if not, it's likely that rails isn't installed correctly. can you run other rails applications, aside from redmine, or is it just redmine that is failing?

"abcd-cards" <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote in message news:c4198725-6254-4602-91c2-1dd3065a1ede@i25g2000yqm.googlegroups.com...

I am using a Debian Lenny system. I did the following to install RedMine as mentioned on their wiki page http://www.redmine.org/wiki/redmine/RedmineInstall

ruby 1.8.7 Rails 2.3.5 and Rack 1.0.1 redmine-0.9.3 are present on my system.

ruby script/server -e production

Following error is coming

/redmine# ruby script/server -e production ./script/../config/../vendor/rails/railties/lib/rails/ vendor_gem_source_index.rb:1:in `require': no such file to load -- rubygems (LoadError)

Did you install ruby, rails, and rack via apt? If so I suspect you may not have the rubygems package installed. I believe the Debian version of rails has been modified to not depend on rubygems, but since redmine came with a copy of the rails gems vendored in, it does require rubygems.

To answer both of your replies I did the following 1) which rails does not give me an output.

2) Then checked for Ruby ~# dpkg -s ruby Package: ruby Status: install ok installed Priority: optional Section: interpreters Installed-Size: 100 Maintainer: Fumitoshi UKAI <ukai@debian.or.jp> Architecture: all Source: ruby-defaults Version: 4.2 Depends: ruby1.8 Description: An interpreter of object-oriented scripting language Ruby Ruby is the interpreted scripting language for quick and easy object-oriented programming. It has many features to process text files and to do system management tasks (as in perl). It is simple, straight-forward, and extensible. . This package is a dependency package, which depends on Debian's default Ruby version (currently 1.8.x). Homepage: http://www.ruby-lang.org/

3) then checked for rubygems

:~# dpkg -s rubygems Package: rubygems Status: install ok installed Priority: optional Section: interpreters Installed-Size: 88 Maintainer: Daigo Moriwaki <daigo@debian.org> Architecture: all Source: libgems-ruby Version: 1.2.0-3 Depends: rubygems1.8 (= 1.2.0-3) Description: package management framework for Ruby libraries/ applications This is a way to package Ruby libraries/applications for distribution. RubyGems provides the ability to manage concurrent versions of libraries and dependencies between those libraries. Using RubyGems, you can:    * download and install Ruby libraries easily    * not worry about libraries A and B depending on different versions of      library C    * easily remove libraries you no longer use . This is a dependency package which depends on Debian's default Ruby version (currently 1.8.x). Homepage: http://rubygems.org/

What more should I check and paste the output here let me know.

it's best not to install rubygems via apt-get. follow the instructions from here http://docs.rubygems.org/read/chapter/3 i have a blog post on set up for ubuntu Seanbehan.com which may be helpful (just ignore the libs for php and git)

I followed your blog http://seanbehan.com/ruby-on-rails/new-ubuntu-slice-apache-mysql-php-ruby-on-rails-git-and/ and when I do ruby setup.rb then I get following error I am root on the system

~/rubygems-1.3.1# ruby setup.rb /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/yaml.rb:9:in `require': no such file to load -- stringio (LoadError)   from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/yaml.rb:9   from ./lib/rubygems/config_file.rb:7:in `require'   from ./lib/rubygems/config_file.rb:7   from ./lib/rubygems.rb:882:in `require'   from ./lib/rubygems.rb:882   from setup.rb:22:in `require'   from setup.rb:22