SMS via Skype

Is it possible to send sms via skype account in rails?

It seems that skype charge much less than the other sms gateways.

Arthur

Not sure of the legal side, but you can SMS through AIM and gtalk for
free... here's one article explaining it...

-philip

Thanks for the info.

However, my target users are in Hong Kong.

Unfortunately, it seems that we don't have free sms carriers which allow me to use something like sms-fu.

Arthur Chan wrote:

Thanks for the info.

However, my target users are in Hong Kong.

It is likely that Hong Kong cellular providers also provide e-mail gateways. Why not check?

Unfortunately, it seems that we don't have free sms carriers which allow me to use something like sms-fu.

On 10月2日, 下午11時35分, Marnen Laibow-Koser <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-

Best,

They do not in the UK (I believe), not free anyway.

Colin

from the pointers, it seems that there are HK carriers provide the service.

but hold on, I have two basic questions upon this carriers methods: (sorry for my ignorance) 1. Do I have to know the phone number's carriers? (e.g. +852 123@pccw.com, +852 456 @csl1010.com?) 2. Is it all or nothing for the pricing? (all of them are either free or charged? or it is a case by case issue?)

Again, thanks for the replies! It helped me a lot.

Arthur

I'll see your 5 minutes and raise it another 10. That information includes paid for services. The Vodaphone service for example is, I believe, not free and anyway is not available to new customers as it is being phased out. I have not fully explored all the suggestions for the uk but so far none of them have panned out. The problem is that they want to make money. Most unreasonable in my opinion.

Colin

Colin Law wrote:

gateways. Why not check?

About 5 minutes of research turned up http://bit.ly/H8lcV , which includes a number of UK carriers. So I think you're wrong. :slight_smile:

I'll see your 5 minutes and raise it another 10. That information includes paid for services. The Vodaphone service for example is, I believe, not free

How does that work? You send e-mail to the appropriate address at vodafone.co.uk -- then what? Does Vodafone reply with a request for your credit card number?

and anyway is not available to new customers as it is being phased out.

That would suck. It would also surprise me.

I have not fully explored all the suggestions for the uk but so far none of them have panned out. The problem is that they want to make money. Most unreasonable in my opinion.

Well, at least on the US model, they still do make money because the recipient still pays for receipt.

Colin

Best,

Colin Law wrote:

gateways. Why not check?

About 5 minutes of research turned up http://bit.ly/H8lcV , which includes a number of UK carriers. So I think you're wrong. :slight_smile:

I'll see your 5 minutes and raise it another 10. That information includes paid for services. The Vodaphone service for example is, I believe, not free

How does that work? You send e-mail to the appropriate address at vodafone.co.uk -- then what? Does Vodafone reply with a request for your credit card number?

No it is the recipient that pays, he/she has to register with vodaphone to be able to receive sms from email and then he gets charged for receipt.

and anyway is not available to new customers as it is being phased out.

That would suck. It would also surprise me.

I have not fully explored all the suggestions for the uk but so far none of them have panned out. The problem is that they want to make money. Most unreasonable in my opinion.

Well, at least on the US model, they still do make money because the recipient still pays for receipt.

Do you get charged for receiving SMS normally then? We only get charged for sending unless subscribed to some chargeable system.

Colin