Slideshow in rails

Hello, I want to create a slideshow of photogrpahs in rails. Can anyone suggest me how do i proceed. I will store the pictures directly on the disk.

Thanks you.

The book "Ajax on Rails" from O'Reilly walks through a photo gallery implementation that should work great as a slideshow with a few minor tweaks. Or you might be able to find some sample code online if you don't want to buy a book. You might also try to reverse engineer an existing slideshow site.

In general these types if questions are too non-specific for this type of forum. There are too many variables: Do you want an AJAX solution or just plain HTML? Will there be an upload page?

Robert Walker wrote:

The book "Ajax on Rails" from O'Reilly walks through a photo gallery implementation that should work great as a slideshow with a few minor tweaks. Or you might be able to find some sample code online if you don't want to buy a book. You might also try to reverse engineer an existing slideshow site.

In general these types if questions are too non-specific for this type of forum. There are too many variables: Do you want an AJAX solution or just plain HTML? Will there be an upload page?

Sorry, for not mentioning things clearly. I will need an upload page and want to use AJAX. If you know any resources please ket me know. Thanks a lot.

If you think about it, a pretty simple pagination-based system would be a decent slideshow. :slight_smile:

there's a few in scriptaculous (just oogling, haven't tried myself):

http://blog.caboo.se/articles/2006/01/19/easy-scriptaculous-slideshow

gene tani wrote:

@Ank -- It is not possible to do a file upload via AJAX; the technology does not support it. You can acheive something that is AJAX-like, however. You will definitely want to grab the attachment_fu plugin; this plugin handles all the heavy lifting involved in retrieving the file from the post, storing it (disk or db -- you configure), and creating a model instance for it.

There are a few tools out there to help with the AJAX-like process. I have tried working with the upload_status plugin but did not feel that I had adequate control over the responses. I preferred the earlier work from the same plugin author called respond_to_parent and doing a little more work on my own.

Here's a decent how-to: http://khamsouk.souvanlasy.com/2007/5/1/ajax-file-uploads-in-rails-using-attachment_fu-and-responds_to_parent

HTH, AndyV