Skipping Couple of Validate Presence in model

Hi everyone,

In a User model has 4 columns mandatory I have used validate presence true first_name, last_name, username, country. Now if the user is admin and when I want to update his details I don’t want to check country I want validate presence part from country. In this case how can I do it. I want to update admin who is also user in User model but I want to skip couple of column and need to check rest of the columns to validate presence.

Kindly let me know how it can be done.

Cheers!!!

am using Rails 3.2.21 I forgot to mention that.

Thanks

Hi everyone,

In a User model has 4 columns mandatory I have used validate presence true first_name, last_name, username, country. Now if the user is admin and when I want to update his details I don't want to check country I want validate presence part from country. In this case how can I do it. I want to update admin who is also user in User model but I want to skip couple of column and need to check rest of the columns to validate presence.

Have a look at http://guides.rubyonrails.org/v3.2.21/active_record_validations_callbacks.html#conditional-validation which shows you how to use conditional validations.

Colin

Thanks colin for your reply.

I have used this way in my model.

validates :first_name, :last_name, :username, :next_of_name, :phone, :email presence: true validates :first_name, :last_name, :username,:password, :password_confirmation, :presence => true, if: :only_for_admin

def only_for_admin self.admin end

when I save things for admin… phone and next_of_name those fields are not allowing to save. Correct me if is not correct process.

Thanks colin for your reply.

I have used this way in my model.

validates :first_name, :last_name, :username, :next_of_name, :phone, :email presence: true   validates :first_name, :last_name, :username,:password, :password_confirmation, :presence => true, if: :only_for_admin

def only_for_admin     self.admin   end

when I save things for admin... phone and next_of_name those fields are not allowing to save. Correct me if is not correct process.

The first line will be executed first, it says validate presence of everything whether admin or not, so the save fails. That line should only specify the fields that are always required. The second line should then say validate the conditional fields, but they only *not* admin, or unless admin.

By the way, I would prefer it if you could insert your replies into the previous message rather than top posting. It makes it easier to follow the thread. Thanks.

Colin