validates_presence_of?

I have a situation in which I would like it to be possible to create a user. But also allow an administrator to modify certain values associated with that user (username, email, privileges). I have created my own authentication system based on an example I found.

My problem is that currently I am validating the presence of all the fields in the table (for new user creation). What would be the best way to have it not worry about some fields (password and confirm for example) when modifying? I don't want the admin to have access to user passwords.

Thanks, Glen

I have a situation in which I would like it to be possible to create a user. But also allow an administrator to modify certain values associated with that user (username, email, privileges). I have created my own authentication system based on an example I found.

My problem is that currently I am validating the presence of all the fields in the table (for new user creation). What would be the best way to have it not worry about some fields (password and confirm for example) when modifying? I don't want the admin to have access to user passwords.

You can add ":on => :create" where :create can be :update as well.. that lets you "split" up your validations...

Thanks, actually I saw that in the api but it didn't click with me.