Singular form of model

Rails 3.1.3 ruby 1.9

I have a model called, "Give". I understand that it may not be a good choice for a model, but couldn't be helped.

Rails seems to have recognized its singular form to be "gife" rather than "give", which I hoped to be. So, I put in routes.rb

resources :gives, :singular => :give

But the routes still show

new_gife GET /gives/new(.:format) {:action=>"new", :controller=>"gives"}                edit_gife GET /gives/:id/edit(.:format) {:action=>"edit", :controller=>"gives"}                     gife GET /gives/:id(.:format) {:action=>"show", :controller=>"gives"}

Do I need to do something else to let it change the singular form of "Gives" to be "give"?

Thanks.

soichi

Rails 3.1.3 ruby 1.9

I have a model called, "Give". I understand that it may not be a good choice for a model, but couldn't be helped.

Rails seems to have recognized its singular form to be "gife" rather than "give", which I hoped to be. So, I put in routes.rb

resources :gives, :singular => :give

But the routes still show

new_gife GET /gives/new(.:format) {:action=>"new", :controller=>"gives"}               edit_gife GET /gives/:id/edit(.:format) {:action=>"edit", :controller=>"gives"}                    gife GET /gives/:id(.:format) {:action=>"show", :controller=>"gives"}

Do I need to do something else to let it change the singular form of "Gives" to be "give"?

Wow, that is really odd. Gife isn't even a word, as far as I can tell. You can change this in the inflections.rb file in your config/initializers folder. It's pretty well commented and should work for this case.

Walter

Soichi Ishida wrote in post #1075000:

You are right that "Give" is a really bad choice for a model name. Models should be nouns not verbs (i.e. One gives a gift). The model would be thing given not the act of giving.

That is a really odd inflection bug though. It must be triggering the wrong inflection rule somehow.

It's probably got a rule to deal with plurals like knives, lives, wives, etc. Seeing a table end in "ives" (and not triggering any higher-priority rule) then makes sense.

Now to go munch on sour cream and chife potato chips, and listen to some Burl Ife music.... :wink:

-Dave

Thanks everyone.

have added

ActiveSupport::Inflector.inflections do |inflect|   inflect.irregular 'give', 'gives' end

in the inflection.rb , then now

gives GET /gives(.:format) {:action=>"index", :controller=>"gives"}                          POST /gives(.:format) {:action=>"create", :controller=>"gives"}                 new_give GET /gives/new(.:format) {:action=>"new", :controller=>"gives"}                edit_give GET /gives/:id/edit(.:format) {:action=>"edit", :controller=>"gives"}                     give GET /gives/:id(.:format) {:action=>"show", :controller=>"gives"}

looking good!

Thanks again.

soichi