Simple search form with restful routes?

What am I doing wrong? I just want to create a simple form where I can enter the ID of a model and it take me to that model. I'm trying to place the form in the application layout, so I can use it from anywhere in my app. I'm using restful routes only. I keep getting this routing error when trying to create the form:

ticket_url failed to generate from {:controller=>"tickets", :action=>"show"} - you may have ambiguous routes, or you may need to supply additional parameters for this route.

Here's my resource declaration (routes.rb):

map.resources :tickets

Here's my "show" method in tickets_controller:

def show   begin     @ticket = Ticket.find(params[:id])

respond_to do |format|       format.html # show.html.erb       format.xml { render :xml => @ticket }     end   rescue ActiveRecord::RecordNotFound     logger.error("Attempt to access invalid ticket_id => #{params[:id]}")     flash[:warning] = "You have requested an invalid ticket."     redirect_to tickets_path   end end

Here's the form_tag I'm trying to use:

<% form_tag ticket_path, {:id => 'jumpbox', :method => :get} do %>   <p>     <label for="id"><em>Enter a ticket number:</em></label><br/>     <%= text_field_tag 'id', nil, :size => 8, :class => "textbox" %>     <%= submit_tag 'Go', :name => nil %>   </p> <% end %>

Thanks for any help!

ticket_path is expecting you to pass the ID of the ticket you are looking for. Something like this: ticket_path(123)

Run 'rake routes' to get a good idea of what each named route is doing.

What you need is something like this:

# tickets_controller def search   show end

# routes.rb map.resources :tickets, :collection => { :search => :post }

You can now GET or POST to /tickets/search or tickets_search_path.

Yeah, I ran 'rake routes' to study the routing but I just didn't think I'd have to add to it. I specified the 'get' method to ticket_path with an ID param coming in...I don't understand why that wouldn't work.

So the search method will now render the show method? or redirect_to? or what?

Thanks for the help.