Shared users

Hi,

I have three RoR apps with the same users. It would be nice if they didn’t have to create usernames and passwords for each…

What’s the best practice?

1. Create one users table, replicate it to the other apps
  2. Create one users table, figure out how to get ActiveRecord to do cross-database joins
  3. Use LDAP ;^) Thanks,

m

I have three RoR apps with the same users. It would be nice if they didn't have to create usernames and passwords for each...

What's the best practice?

1. Create one users table, replicate it to the other apps   2. Create one users table, figure out how to get ActiveRecord to do   cross-database joins   3. Use LDAP ;^)

4. Have a backend "auth" table that each of the front ends talk to. Only keep the bare minimum in that table and put all the app specific profile stuff in it's own database.

Also, depending on how you're using things you might not need to do anything. We've got a section of our site split out into another database. Only connection is that the the models for that section ":have_one :user".

It all just works as the queries tend to be: select * from my_models where user_id = 123.

But I do have to remember i can't do joins...

-philip

Marc Byrd wrote:

Hi,

I have three RoR apps with the same users. It would be nice if they didn't have to create usernames and passwords for each...

What's the best practice?

1. Create one users table, replicate it to the other apps    2. Create one users table, figure out how to get ActiveRecord to do    cross-database joins    3. Use LDAP ;^)

Why would you have to do a join in #2? I would create a separate database with just the users table.