Seymore - Content Management On Rails

I have just open sourced my Content Management System called Seymore. Rather than having a separate administration section for managing content, content management functions are available throughout the site so users are able to contextually and comfortably manage the content. I am looking for any and all feedback. Please, either checkout the latest source from subversion, grab version 0.1 from the project's page or just check out the screencasts and let me know what you think. Thanks, in advance!

Project Page: http://www.slicedsoftware.com/software/seymore/

Oh, and it's called Seymore because it's Content Management On Rails, CMOR.

I have just open sourced my Content Management System called Seymore. Rather than having a separate administration section for managing content, content management functions are available throughout the site so users are able to contextually and comfortably manage the content. I am looking for any and all feedback. Please, either checkout the latest source from subversion, grab version 0.1 from the project's page or just check out the screencasts and let me know what you think. Thanks, in advance!

I have never understood why more CMS don't take this approach. DotNetNuke has always done it and I found that clients find this approach more easier to understand. Nice work.

Michael

Hey, thanks for the complement. I'm glad you like it.

Would anyone else care to give some feedback? Thanks!

I thought you named it after my dad.

Stuart

Haha

Looks interesting. The publish, edit, etc color-highlighted links are a little odd. I'd go with plain buttons and then that metaphor wouldn't conflict with later enhancements, like colored highlighting when showing diffs. I like the way you did the left-hand page hierarchy with the floating Add. You might want to move user_can_add, user_can_edit, and other user attribute methods out of ApplicationHelper; I wouldn't consider them view-oriented. You might consider Rick Olsen's acts_as_authenticated for handling users (as well as his acts_as_versioned), and take a look at my authorization plugin (writertopia) for handling the user authorizations (edit/publish/...) Thanks for sharing!

Best wishes, Bill

Thanks for the feedback Bill. I will definitely look into everything you suggested. Thanks again for taking your time to check it out.

Under what liscense are you releasing this software?

The New BSD License.

http://code.google.com/p/seymore/ new bsd license. http://www.opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.php

Stuart

Thomas, Do you see this as a similar package to say Sugar CRM. I don’t mean the type of application or functionality but where others can customize and provide “services” to clients around Seymore ?

Stuart

I see Seymore as being very small and only providing the most necessary features through a clean API with a nice set of helpers. This will making theme-ing Seymore a simple task. The next thing that I want to do is design a plugin architecture to extend content types that are handled. So, I guess the answer to your question is yes. I see Seymore as being a solid CMS base that can be extended for various purposes.

Hi,

Yes this does look interesting.

I think Ruby on Rails really needs a CMS that can compete with Drupal. My compay is moving to Drupal from a bespoke Java CMS.

I really do not like PHP and I really wanted it to be built on Ruby on Rails. But after using Drupal for a while, I came to the conclusion that there is nothing out there for rails that can compete (IMHO). I would have to build a system from the ground up.

I have looked at most of the players for Rails CMS's.

I think this was also true for forums, until Beast :slight_smile:

Kind Regards Hamza

Look at Radiant, it powers the ruby site. It also comes with a nifty command that will bootstrap a new rails app with Radiant all setup, ready for you to extend.

Hi Rick.

I have looked at Radiant. But I don't think it can compare to Drupal. Don't get me wrong. I think Radiant is a great. But its just not there yet. But obvsioully that is due to time and community size. Drupal has been around a lot longer and has a heavy community submitting modules night and day.

Lets hope, we as a community can create a CMS as active in developnment as Drupal. Whether that be Radiant or any other CMS. (although i think Radiant is the best bet :slight_smile:

Hamza

Rick Olson wrote:

I just wanted to say quickly that a bug was brought to my attention that affected Seymore running with a MySQL database. I have committed the fix to the trunk and also posted some new distributions (0.1.1) on the project's site (http://slicedsoftware.com/software/seymore/). All MySQL related issues should now be resolved.