Separating out rubyonrails-talk into different mailing lists?

I've been trying to keep on top of rubyonrails-talk now for some time. And it's getting confusing in here, to the point where I want to get stuck in, but I really don't have the time to sift through the stuff I just don't have time to deal with (newbie questions mostly, unfortunately - I'm just too busy to help responding to them).

I was wondering if it might not be a good idea to split the list into several lists that are focused on particular topics where people might find it easier to discover each other?

For example:

rubyonrails-beginner - just starting out and getting stuck? Experts willing to help those on their first stages can answer questions

rubyonrails-help - questions/answers for the non-beginners tracking down help with something a bit more esoteric

rubyonrails-devel - discussion of what is going into future releases of rails

rubyonrails-talk - general chat, advice on hosting, chunky bacon-related escapades, etc.

This isn't a definitive list, just an idea. If we suddenly found a list being over-burdened with a class of topics many weren't interested in, another list could be created - e.g. web designers looking for help on views, liquid, flex2, etc. could all congregate around rubyonrails-webdesign or something.

I think this would help those looking for help find it quicker, and those willing to provide help connect quicker with those looking for it. A similar mailing list scheme operates around the FreeBSD project with a great deal of success and helps like-minded folks find each other and get on with development much more easily than everybody colliding in one big heap.

Thoughts anybody?

Been talked about before. If we split it then nobody would read the newbie questions because they’re too busy. Having one community is beneficial in the long run. How do you know you don’t need to read the post if you never see it? :slight_smile:

This is my 18th month doing Ruby on Rails and I love the newbie posts as I learn a lot of new techniques from my peers and I see new ways to deal with problems. I’d hate to see them split off, especially because it seems so unwelcoming. “Go sit at the kids table while the grownups discuss important things”.

You can search the archives to find a more official response… it was probably only 3 or 4 weeks ago that this topic came up.

rubyonrails-devel - discussion of what is going into future releases of rails

This list exists in form of rubyonrails-core. Albeit its mostly for discussing the technical aspects of patches and new features among contributors. Less for general discussion.

David Heinemeier Hansson

I agree.. as mibee (middle/newbie), I find I can help the newbies, still learn for the pros and mark things that I can use *right now* or things that I should see when I'm interested. I think it would hurt to chop up the list..

Cheers Mohit.

Brian Hogan wrote: