select_tag without selected="selected" clause

Hi,

in my controller, for an edit action, I'm getting the whole list of values from a table with types:

@cm_board_types = CmBoardType.find(:all, :conditions => ['project_id=?', @project.id])

My problem is that when I display an existing record (to edit it) with the type_id field: the select displayed does not have the html "selected" clause, so this combo always shows the first value in the recovered list (@cm_board_types)... I've lot of similar cases working perfectly, but this... I can not find where is the problem.

Instead of showing this: <option value="1">Type Name for Value 1</option> <option selected="selected" value="2">Type Name for Value 2</option>

is showing this: <option value="1">Type Name for Value 1</option> <option value="2">Type Name for Value 2</option>

About the form: <p><%= f.select :type_id, (@cm_board_types.collect {|p| [p.name, p.id]}), :required => true %></p>

Thanks in advance

Please, make sure that the object in your form_for helper: 1. object.response_to? "type_id" 2. object.type_id == 2

Thanks for your answer. But, I don't know exactly what you mean.

First is renderized the edit.rhtml form. From this one: ... <%= render :partial => 'edit' %> ...

The partial _edit.rhtml form: <% labelled_tabular_form_for :cm_board, @cm_board,          :url => {:action => 'edit', :id => @cm_board},          :html => {:id => 'edit-cm_board-form',                    :class => nil,                    :multipart => true} do |f| %> ...

and finally the _attributes.rhtml form: <% fields_for :cm_board, @cm_board, :builder => TabularFormBuilder do

f> %>

The labelled_tabular_form_for helper looks like: def labelled_tabular_form_for(name, object, options, &proc)   options[:html] ||= {}   options[:html][:class] = 'tabular' unless options[:html].has_key?(:class)   form_for(name, object, options.merge({ :builder => TabularFormBuilder, :lang => current_language}), &proc) end

where can I search for the info you request?

Sorry, for the confusion :slight_smile: I meant that the object, you are passing to the form_for (in your case it is @cm_board) should have the attribute "type_id" and the value stored in that attribute should be equal to the index of the option you want to have selected. Here is the short note from the documentation: " select(object, method, choices, options = {}, html_options = {}) Create a select tag and a series of contained option tags for the provided object and method. The option currently held by the object will be selected, provided that the object is available. See options_for_select for the required format of the choices parameter. Example with @post.person_id => 1:   select("post", "person_id", Person.all.collect {|p| [ p.name, p.id ] }, { :include_blank => true }) could become:   <select name="post[person_id]">     <option value=""></option>     <option value="1" selected="selected">David</option>     <option value="2">Sam</option>     <option value="3">Tobias</option>   </select>

This can be used to provide a default set of options in the standard way: before rendering the create form, a new model instance is assigned the default options and bound to @model_name. Usually this model is not saved to the database. Instead, a second model object is created when the create request is received. This allows the user to submit a form page more than once with the expected results of creating multiple records. In addition, this allows a single partial to be used to generate form inputs for both edit and create forms. By default, post.person_id is the selected option. Specify :selected => value to use a different selection or :selected => nil to leave all options unselected. Similarly, you can specify values to be disabled in the option tags by specifying the :disabled option. This can either be a single value or an array of values to be disabled."