Seeking "Rails Way" design advice

How many lines of code so far? A controller for each model isn't necessarily a bad thing, and a One True Controller mightn't sound too bad until your app has to do more stuff.

Unless you are having problems right now, I would just finish it and refactor at the end. Refactoring and redesign is always more obvious with a complete app than an incomplete one.

Hardy wrote:

Richard Conroy wrote: > How many lines of code so far? A controller for each model isn't > necessarily a bad thing, and a One True Controller mightn't sound > too bad until your app has to do more stuff. > > Unless you are having problems right now, I would just finish it > and refactor at the end. Refactoring and redesign is always more > obvious with a complete app than an incomplete one.

Richard,

I'm only about 20% of the way through the entire app, but like I said, it's a signficant app. The tabs aren't tied to models, they just provide different functionality. For instance, the frame on the left provides a list, click on an entry and it provides more detail in the upper right frame, click on something there and you get most detailed view in bottom right frame.

Maybe I should just keep plugging away. You are right about getting the 10,000 ft view when you're done. Just wish I could figure out what the "right" way is for such a non-trivial app.

Thanks!!

H

-- Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

I agree with Richard.

I just finished building an app like what you're saying. It has one main page, and a few div's that have a few tabs which refresh just that div. I had about 7 controllers, however that was because I had around 7 models, so it made sense.

It's nice to have a controller for every model, but if you only have 1 model (or none) then try going with just 1 controller.

Richard is definitely right about refactoring when you're done... I wasted a lot of time when I was doing my app and refactoring in the middle of it.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

-Ben Lisbakken