Searching for an existant entry in the Model

Hi, I have a form for two models, a Requirement has_many Posts

@requirement = Requirement.new(params[:requirement])     @post = @requirement.posts.build(params[:post])

That's what I have so far to save the requirement. I can save the requirement fine. However, if the user inputs a title for a requirement that already exists, I want to check that, and add the user's post to THAT requirement (that already exists). How would I do this? Requirement has only one column 'title'...

I've tried

@requirements = Requirement.find(:all)

@requirements.each do |req|   if(params[:requirement].include?(req.title))    curr_req = req   end end

if curr_req     @post = curr_req.posts.build(params[:post])     if @post.save       redirect_to :action => :index     else       redirect_to :action => :new_requirement     end else     @requirement = Requirement.new(params[:requirement])     @post = @requirement.posts.build(params[:post])

if @post.save       redirect_to :action => :index     else       redirect_to :action => :new_requirement     end end

Doesn't work... I also received an error: Unknown key(s): title

Any help is much appreciated, thanks!

Hi, I have a form for two models, a Requirement has_many Posts

@requirement = Requirement\.new\(params\[:requirement\]\)
@post = @requirement\.posts\.build\(params\[:post\]\)

That's what I have so far to save the requirement. I can save the requirement fine. However, if the user inputs a title for a requirement that already exists, I want to check that, and add the user's post to THAT requirement (that already exists). How would I do this? Requirement has only one column 'title'...

I've tried

@requirements = Requirement.find(:all)

@requirements.each do |req| if(params[:requirement].include?(req.title)) curr_req = req end end

That would work if you had instead said params[:requirement][:title] == req.title (not sure what you were thinking would happen with include?) This is an incredibly inefficient way of doing things when you could just do curr_req = Requirement.find_by_title params[:requirement] [:title].

Fred

That would work if you had instead said params[:requirement][:title] == req.title (not sure what you were thinking would happen with include?) This is an incredibly inefficient way of doing things when you could just do curr_req = Requirement.find_by_title params[:requirement] [:title].

Fred

Thanks for your continued help Fred, really appreciate it.

Pretty new to this stuff, so I'm still trying to learn.

Justin

Justin To wrote:

Fred

Thanks for your continued help Fred, really appreciate it.

Pretty new to this stuff, so I'm still trying to learn.

Justin

why not

class requirement

validates_uniqueness_of :title

end