screenshot

Hi guys!

Is it possible to make a screenshot of a webpage? I really need to make a screenshot and cut out part of a page. I guess it will be pretty hard :slight_smile:

thanks

There is an absolutely fantastic outstanding (I'm not affiliated but I absolutely love it) plugin for Firefox called Fireshot. I think this is the URL for it: FireShot - Instant Full page Screen Capture in your browser

In my opinion, it's really useful for capturing a screenshot of either the visible area or the entire page - and also lets you annotate it. I promise you that you won't use anything else :slight_smile:

Cheers, Mohit. 3/1/2008 | 9:13 PM.

zok wrote:

You can use Firefox "headless" to take screenshots of web pages. Google "firefox headless" for a few solutions.

--Jeremy

Pawel Jur wrote:

thanks But I was thinking how to do it from a web application (for example cutting out the google map i displayed on the screen)    I'm quite sure that I'm not clear what you want to do. Do you want to capture a portion of the end user's screen by using a Rails app? That won't work. You'll need to get something like a Java applet - that /might/ work.

If you want to capture a screenshot on the "server" where you Rails scripts are running - and you want to try to do a screenshot in response to a web request, you could look at a recent thread on the Ruby (not Rails) mailing list - I think there's something called win 32 screenshot (you should be able to find it in the archives of that list).

Finally, if you are actually planning to take a screenshot of a screen on the server in response to a web request, good luck! What happens if you receive 2 or 3 requests at the same time? Will you be able to prepare the screen to be clean enough for each capture. I wouldn't think that this is a very good way.

Cheers, Mohit. 3/2/2008 | 12:07 AM.

Might want to also check out a little app called Paparazzi. It is for the Mac only, but works perfectly for taking screen shots.

--Cory

Mohit Sindhwani wrote:

There is an absolutely fantastic outstanding (I'm not affiliated but I absolutely love it) plugin for Firefox called Fireshot. I think this is the URL for it: FireShot - Instant Website screenshots in your browser

I just wanted to make a comment on Fireshot. I just downloaded it and tried it out and it is really, really, awsome. I have these links that I have saved because they print out really crappy and waist a lot of paper so I can't print them out, but with Fireshot I can get a screen shot of the entire page (even the parts taht are not currently visible), it is really cool! No RoR related but I couldn't resist.

-S

Get this one for firefox, works great and the basic version is for free, I for myself dont need more than that...

http://pearlcrescent.com/products/pagesaver/

Regards, matthi

There is a great online service for creating web page screen shots:

http://mythumbshot.com/

You could pull the image from the service in code (after it makes the screen shot) and use an image library to cut it up.

-Jim