Save method behaviour changed?

As an aside recent versions of rails raise ActiveRecord::RecordNotUnique in such cases, although this is a subclass of ActiveRecord::StatementInvalid so shouldn't change behaviour as far as you're concern. You're also changing the signature of save although I don't think that is related to the problem at hand.

On: Tue Mar 5, 2013 1:48 pm ((PST)), "Les Nightingill" codehacker@comcast.net lesnightingill wrote:

perhaps the exception being raised is not ActiveRecord::StatementInvalid.

suggest trying rescue with no exception specified to see if there is a different exception being raised.

Les

Bingo! Rails-3.2.12 implements code similar to that I was providing in hll_ar_exception( this_exception ) ) and actually returns the exact message from PG that I was checking for therein.

def save( * )     begin       puts( "I go" )       super       puts( "I return" )     rescue => e       puts( e.inspect )       false     end   end

Using the default profile... .................I go #<ActiveRecord::RecordNotUnique: PG::Error: ERROR: duplicate key value violates unique constraint "idxu_currencies_currency_code" DETAIL: Key (currency_code)=(JPY) already exists. : INSERT INTO "currencies" ("changed_at", "changed_by", "created_at", "created_by", "currency_code", "currency_name", "discount_factor", "effective_from", "fx_accounting_factor", "fx_accounting_margin", "is_payable", "is_receivable", "premium_factor", "superseded_after") VALUES ($1, $2, $3, $4, $5, $6, $7, $8, $9, $10, $11, $12, $13, $14) RETURNING "id"> ..F-

(::slight_smile: failed steps (::slight_smile:

Mystery solved. Thanks.