RVM and Rails

Hi

I am wondering what is the best practice for using gemsets with rails projects.

What is the correct workflow for developing multiple rails3 projects each with its own gemset. SPECIFICALLY I am not sure where I do a "gem install rails" when I will have more than one rails project. Do I need to "gem install rails" in each gemset? Or can I "gem install rails" in a directory named [say] ~/work/rail3...

WORKFLOW

In ~/work/rails3 I do

rvm use ree@global gem install rails

This installs rails3 in global gemset

Now... In ~/work/rails3 I can

rails new blog

This will create the rails directory structure in ~/work/rails3/blog

So... now I am in ~/work/rails3/blog and I want a gemset for this project

So should I...

rvm gemset create blog rvm use ree@blog

.... but I did "gem install rails" in @global and I am now one directory deeper and in @blog so rails gems are not in there... correct? Do I need to do a "gem install rails" in @blog?

I feel I am not getting the workflow correct for using RVM and rails....

Any help? God bless you!

Shawn

Hi

I am wondering what is the best practice for using gemsets with rails projects.

No idea if it's best practice, but I create a gemset for every project. Then in the rails root of that project put "rvm gemset use xxxx" in .rvmrc so every time I cd into that directory it's loaded.

For gems you always want installed in new gemsets look in ~/.rvm/gemsets/ at default.gems and global.gems.

I *wouldn't* put Rails in there though... what if you have to work on an old rails 2 project? I put bundler, rake, and open_gem in mine as I use those all the time....

THere's probably better info on the RVM website about all this...

Good luck!

Thanks for your response.

What I am still not getting is where I should have the rails gem installed? In my root "work" directory I need to be able to run "rails new projectname". So that creates a new directory "work/ projectname" ... but using rvm the rails gem is not in this directory when I make a .rvmrc for this project.

It just seems odd to me to have to keep doing gem install rails... I feel like I am missing something?

Shawn

Thanks for your response.

What I am still not getting is where I should have the rails gem

installed? In my root “work” directory I need to be able to run

“rails new projectname”. So that creates a new directory "work/

projectname" … but using rvm the rails gem is not in this directory

when I make a .rvmrc for this project.

It just seems odd to me to have to keep doing gem install rails… I

feel like I am missing something?

For me, I know it does take space but just to be meticulous I do install rails anew for each project (I do use the --no-rdoc --no-ri options and it really does not take so long). That said I am also generally taking the newest release version.

So you do end up with a chicken and egg problem, so what I do is the following sequence - first create the gemset, install rails, then create the app:

rvm gemset create my_new_app rem 1.9.2-p136@my_new_app

gem install rails rails my_new_app cd my_new_app …