Running Rails 2 and Rails 3 side by side on Obuntu

Is it possible, to run both versions side by side on the same ubuntu 10.04, or do I have to expect difficulties?

No problem provided you use rvm

Colin

Colin Law wrote in post #970077:

Is it possible, to run both versions side by side on the same ubuntu 10.04, or do I have to expect difficulties?

Colin

Maybe 'rvm' is not a critical requirement for this (?)

I think the requirement is to have: * either the different versions of the gems installed * or to vendor the rails versions

Without using rvm (just the 1.8.7 system ruby of Ubuntu 10.04), I was trivially able to run 3.0.3 and 2.3.2 (Uh) in parallel ...

peterv@ASUS:~/ra/apps/trials$ rails _2.3.2_ rails_2_3_x       create       create app/controllers ... peterv@ASUS:~/ra/apps/trials$ rails new rails_3_0_x       create       create README ... peterv@ASUS:~/ra/apps/trials$ ls -l | egrep 'rails_' drwxr-xr-x 13 peterv peterv 4096 2010-12-22 22:42 rails_2_3_x drwxr-xr-x 13 peterv peterv 4096 2010-12-22 22:43 rails_3_0_x

peterv@ASUS:~/ra/apps/trials$ rails_2_3_x/script/console Loading development environment (Rails 2.3.2) 001:0> quit

peterv@ASUS:~/ra/apps/trials$ rails_3_0_x/script/rails c Loading development environment (Rails 3.0.3) 001:0> quit

Running the web servers in parallel:

peterv@ASUS:~/ra/apps/trials$ rails_2_3_x/script/server -p 3000 => Booting Mongrel => Rails 2.3.2 application starting on http://0.0.0.0:3000 => Call with -d to detach => Ctrl-C to shutdown server ^CExiting

In a different console terminal:

peterv@ASUS:~/ra/apps/trials/rails_3_0_x$ rails s -p 3001 => Booting WEBrick => Rails 3.0.3 application starting in development on http://0.0.0.0:3001 => Call with -d to detach => Ctrl-C to shutdown server [2010-12-22 22:47:55] INFO WEBrick 1.3.1 [2010-12-22 22:47:55] INFO ruby 1.8.7 (2010-01-10) [i486-linux] [2010-12-22 22:48:00] INFO WEBrick::HTTPServer#start: pid=4259 port=3001

Or did I overlook something ?

HTH,

Peter

Peter Vandenabeele wrote in post #970139:

Colin

RVM is the best way to do it.

I think the requirement is to have: * either the different versions of the gems installed * or to vendor the rails versions

Right. And RVM is the easiest way of managing that (thanks to its gemset features). If you're using different Ruby interpreters, RVM is essential.

[...]

Or did I overlook something ?

You overlooked the fact that without gemsets and interpreter management, this gets messy fast.

HTH,

Peter

Best,

Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote in post #970140:

Peter Vandenabeele wrote in post #970139:

Colin

RVM is the best way to do it.

Right. And RVM is the easiest way of managing that (thanks to its gemset features). If you're using different Ruby interpreters, RVM is essential.

Thanks for that hint. It lead me to this page:

http://rvm.beginrescueend.com/gemsets/basics/

Now that we have bundler (with it's Gemfile) and rvm, what would be the best way to run e.g. a Rails 2.3.8 and a 3.0.3 on the same Ruby 1.8.7 version in rvm ?

Would it be useful to use rvm gemsets, or just rely on bundler to select the correct gem versions from a single default rvm gemset?

Thanks,

Peter

Peter Vandenabeele wrote in post #970143: [...]

You hadn't read that before?

Now that we have bundler (with it's Gemfile) and rvm, what would be the best way to run e.g. a Rails 2.3.8 and a 3.0.3 on the same Ruby 1.8.7 version in rvm ?

Would it be useful to use rvm gemsets,

Of course. That way each project is completely independent.

or just rely on bundler to select the correct gem versions from a single default rvm gemset?

Why make extra work for yourself?

Thanks,

Peter

Best,

Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote in post #970178:

Peter Vandenabeele wrote in post #970143: [...]

You hadn't read that before?

No. I am fairly new to rvm. Figured out

$ rvm gemset help

as a useful command for exploration :slight_smile:

Would it be useful to use rvm gemsets,

Of course. That way each project is completely independent.

OK, that's good. I'll try it out.

Thanks again,

Peter