Switch versions of Rails

Hi, all.

This is probably a very simple question but I couldn't find anything in the docs, Google, etc.

If I issue:

`$ rails new foo-bar`

The version of Rails being used is 3.1.3. Now I need to use v.2.3.5 for a project but can't for the life of me work out how to do so (2.3.5 is installed).

Sorry it's so (probably) blatantly obvious a question but any help appreciated.

Cheers,

Phil...

Hi Phil, Are you using RVM? If so, I would recommend you to create a new gemset, install rails -v 2.3.5 there, and then you'll have no conflicts.

Anyways, wehter you use a different gemset, rails 2.x doesn't use the "new" command. To create a new aplication with these versions of rails, you have to do "rails appname" but, for this, you have to be sure you're using the right command and that, can be done with the full path to the rails script.

Hope this help. Cheers!

Hi, Leonardo.

Thanks for the help. I do have rvm but I'm using the System (OS X) version 1.8.7 of Ruby for this particular venture. Having only used rails 3 before I can see I need to do some reading ;-).

Cheers,

Phil...

Hi, all.

This is probably a very simple question but I couldn't find anything in the docs, Google, etc.

If I issue:

`$ rails new foo-bar`

The version of Rails being used is 3.1.3. Now I need to use v.2.3.5 for a project but can't for the life of me work out how to do so (2.3.5 is installed).

Sorry it's so (probably) blatantly obvious a question but any help appreciated.

If foo is an executable installed by a gem then

foo _2.3.5_ should run the executable from version 2.3.5 of that gem

Fred

I don't understand why rails 3 won't work with ruby 1.8.7

Blog: http://random8.zenunit.com/ Twitter: http://twitter.com/random8r Learn: http://sensei.zenunit.com/ New video up now at http://sensei.zenunit.com/ real fastcgi rails deploy process! Check it out now!

It will, and it does for me.

What has that got to do with OP's question?

Colin

This thread may help you http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7195324/how-can-i-use-multiple-versions-of-rails-in-the-same-machine/7205231#7205231

Just one point to add to the other suggestions that you use rvm and gemsets, which is not to use 2.3.5 but the latest 2.3.x (if you really need to use 2.3 at all). I believe there have been security fixes that you should have.

Out of interest, why do you need to use 2.3 for a new project?

Colin

Hi, Colin.

The server I'll be deploying on, so I'm reliably informed, is geared up to v.2.3.5 of rails so that's what I've been asked to use.

I'll check about later releases of 2.3.x. Thanks for your help,

Cheers,

Phil...

Thanks, Surya. That's exactly what I've been looking for.

Cheers,

Phil...

In addition I would seriously question the use of 2.3 versus 3.1. 2.3 is only receiving security fixes now I believe (not bug fixes) and it is not trivial to update an app from 2.3 to 3. If the app is expected to have a significant life then using 2.3 just because the server is currently geared up for that is surely a questionable decision.

Colin

I have mentioned to the party involved that getting the web hosting people to upgrade is a very good idea partly because I'm just cutting my teeth on rails & all the work I've done so far has been on v.3 & I also thought that the hosting company will get a memo from HQ saying all the servers are getting an upgrade & it'll leave me, as you said, upgrading a live site.

I think I'll be more adamant with the client about this & explain as well as I can the circumstances to her. Unfortunately, she's not at all computer-minded shall we say...

Cheers,

Phil.

Just as a follow-up to this thread, the web hosting company are telling me in order to get rails v.3 I have to go down the dedicated server route. Don't think the client is going to stand an extra £180 a month on the bill...

Cheers,

Phil.

Seems to me you’re dealing with a £6 for unlimited space and unlimited bandwidth kind of hosting company. Good enough (although I would even doubt that) for a personal blog, not fit for anything else, you get what you pay for. You can get proper VPS hosting for a lot less than a dedicated server will cost you, like Linode. Or you could just make it easy on yourself and use Heroku.

Best regards

Peter De Berdt

I do use heroku (& S3/EC2 & PHP Cloud) but I wanted to put this site up for a fixed price with as little fuss as possible. & it is her blog & she is dead-set against WordPress, Textpattern, etc.

Cheers,

Phil...

The main problem with cheap hosting companies is that they use more or less one-click installers like cpanel or plesk. They generally don't upgrade all too quickly to newer technologies or versions, both on the hosting company side as the control panel provider. I'm guessing it's more of a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" thing than something else.

We've had our fair share of horror experiences in the past, so I totally get the dilemma you are facing. I do want to add that even getting a Rails app properly running, even when you're talking about a 2.3 app, will probably yield another round of frustrations. Support tends to be totally ignorant on Rails apps and you basically get a copy-paste section of the cpanel manual.

I'm quite sure there are some fixed price hosting companies out there, http://hostingrails.com/sharedhosting springs to mind, but they are also stuck on 3.0 it seems (byebye asset pipeline etc).

Out of curiosity, what kind of fuss are you talking about? Ease of deployment or having to advise someone to switch hosting providers?

Best regards

Peter De Berdt

[snip]

Out of curiosity, what kind of fuss are you talking about? Ease of deployment or having to advise someone to switch hosting providers?

Hi, Peter.

Mainly ease of deployment & the fact she loves the blog app I did for her as an example in rails. She's also used the same hosting outfit for years & to be fair to them for the money, they're a pretty good deal.

But they're already have been some problems installing some gems (luckily I don't need them for this project) so I'll have to see how it goes because as you quite rightly pointed out, contacting support for issues like that is pretty much time spent wasted typing...

Cheers,

Phil...