Ruby On Rails Book.

Hi, I'm going to buy only one book of Rails, what book do you recommend ?

Regards. Israel.

israel wrote:

Regards. Israel.

The Rails Way. Obie Fernandez

James Byrne wrote:

israel wrote:

Regards. Israel.

+1 for Rails Way,

some of the code examples have bugs, but compared to AWDR it's far superior

no waste of 12 chapters on a tutorial that you might read once and never again

James Byrne wrote:

Andy Koch wrote:

+1 for Rails Way,

If you can spring for two books then the second should be "Ruby for Rails" by David Black. This is one of the best written textbooks that I have ever read.

+1 for Ruby for Rails as well

but it's getting a bit dated, maybe there's a new edition in the works

Andy Koch wrote:

With Ruby 1.9 / 2.0 hovering like a specter one may speculate that a great number of revised editions are in the works.

Hi --

James Byrne wrote:

Andy Koch wrote:

+1 for Rails Way,

If you can spring for two books then the second should be "Ruby for Rails" by David Black. This is one of the best written textbooks that I have ever read.

Not exactly. I'm currently working on a new version of it, but it's going to be a "Ruby only" book. Nothing against Rails; I just have always wanted to write a Ruby book, and R4R gives me a great starting point (though there's a lot of new material, and all of it is being revised and reworked for Ruby 1.9).

I think a lot of people who will want to read it are Rails developers, though it's not "optimized" for that audience this time around. Part of the reason I'm encouraged to do it this way is that I've seen so very many people who start with Rails... learn the Ruby they need... and then get motivated and interested in learning Ruby unto itself. My view is that it's all interesting and all fun, so I follow my instincts about what I think will be a sweet spot (for me as a writer and for the readership). I also wanted an excuse to delve more deeply into 1.9.

Stay tuned -- we should have some more info reasonably soon.

I'll just add (and many of you have heard me say it before :slight_smile: that while some of the Rails examples in R4R are showing their age, the Ruby you learn from the book is very much the Ruby you're almost certainly using now, give or take a tiny revision number (1.8.5 vs. 1.8.6, perhaps). The Rails that it's "for" may have changed a good bit, but the Ruby that the book is about has moved much more slowly :slight_smile:

David