Looking for a Rails book for a Ruby programmer

Hey guys,

I want to learn Ruby on Rails. I have quite a bit of Ruby experience, I've been programming in it full time for the past few months. I've been looking for a book that would give me a good overview of Rails, but that doesn't go into Ruby specifics. Something short that will get me up to speed and leaves out everything that I can look up in case I have any trouble.

Suggestions? Most of the books that I have looked at so far cover Ruby, which is not what I want.

Thanks!

Quoting Mateusz W. <lists@ruby-forum.com>:

Hey guys,

I want to learn Ruby on Rails. I have quite a bit of Ruby experience, I've been programming in it full time for the past few months. I've been looking for a book that would give me a good overview of Rails, but that doesn't go into Ruby specifics. Something short that will get me up to speed and leaves out everything that I can look up in case I have any trouble.

Suggestions? Most of the books that I have looked at so far cover Ruby, which is not what I want.

Ruby on Rails 3 Tutorial by Michael Hartl and skip Chapter 4 "Rails-Flavored Ruby". This book is a good starting book and may be enough depending on what you want. Also the newest edition of "Agile Web Development with Rails". If you need to get into heavy duty Rails, add "The Rails 3 Way". These last two reccomendations are based on my reading earlier editions. "The Rails Way" had no Ruby sections. AWDR 1st edition had an appendix on Ruby.

HTH,   Jeffrey

If you are interested in TDD/BDD with Rails, you may want to read "RSpec Book by David Chelimsky".

Many rails projects employ TDD and BDD. Therefore, learning TDD/BDD is important for Rails developers.