Ruby on rails and android

How to develop rails application in android mobile applications

difficult to say

Nike Mike wrote:

How to develop rails application in android mobile applications

That's a pretty vague question. Please clarify.

Best,

Hi alll… simmiler question i also want to ask … How to use Rails for android application development…? Is there any tool for that…like iphone application development…?

Regards Shyam

+91-97161-89650 http://shyam.heroku.com

You could do worse than to look at Rhodes which is an open-source cross-platform tool to allow development if mobile apps in Ruby.You could then link to a backend app developed with RoR. Supports Android and iOS amongst others.

Hi alll... simmiler question i also want to ask .... How to use Rails for android application development...? Is there any tool for that...like iphone application development....?

Or you can use Rhodes/Rhomobile:

http://github.com/rhomobile

I saw their demo at RailsConf last month. It only does the most simple form/list stuff, and what it draws is really very ugly. Yeah, you can write your code once and then have it output both an iPhone and an Android app, but no one is actually going to buy such simple little apps. It has a long way to go before anyone will use it for anything serious, and I doubt they will ever be able to keep up with the speed at which Android evolves.

rhomobile.

Best Regards, Mohit. 8/7/2010 | 11:41 PM.

Or you can use Rhodes/Rhomobile:

rhomobile / Tau · GitHub

I saw their demo at RailsConf last month. It only does the most simple form/list stuff, and what it draws is really very ugly.

Kindof like the Rails scaffolding then...

I've used it to do a web-service front-end from Remedy; and seeing as it's a web-page like any other Rails app, it looks as good as you can style.

you can write your code once and then have it output both an iPhone and an Android app, but no one is actually going to buy such simple little apps.

Really? I'm looking at my invoices and beg to disagree... but the OP never said (much of anything to be fair) anything about what he wanted it for, just "how to".

It has a long way to go before anyone will use it for anything serious, and I doubt they will ever be able to keep up with the speed at which Android evolves.

Possibly... or alternatively it's being used seriously right now, but it may left be left behind in the future.

Personally.... I hated using it - but I was limited to having to use rhohub; it might be better using v2.x on your own hardware. But either way, I'm just pointing out an option for the OP :slight_smile:

What's the market:// URL to your app(s)?

The work I did with Rhodes wasn't for a public app - it was a proof of concept for a Remedy integrator to give them a mobile front-end to their incident-reporting database.

Rhodes did the job well, but was a PITA to use. If the OP asks "how do I develop for Android?" the answer is "Java!". If they ask "How do I use Ruby/Rails to develop for Android?", one answer is Rhodes.

Michael Pavling wrote: [...]

Rhodes did the job well, but was a PITA to use. If the OP asks "how do I develop for Android?" the answer is "Java!". If they ask "How do I use Ruby/Rails to develop for Android?", one answer is Rhodes.

So you're saying that Rhodes was more of a pain than Java? (Quite a tall order IMHO.) In what respect? I'm curious to know, because Rhodes looks quite promising otherwise, both because it's Ruby and because it's multi-OS.

I realize we've gone off topic for this list, so feel free to e-mail me privately at marnen@marnen.org if you'd rather.

Best,