RUBY AND MAXDB

Hallo,

I am looking for maxdb support for Ruby On Rails, but I never found it, Do you know where is ?

Jose.

I don't think it exists, but I will say that if you aren't already committed to maxdb, think seriously about using it. Administering and tuning it is a real pain, it's a resource hog, and the codebase is a complete cluster*&*&, a twisted combination of Pascal and C. It is a very capable database, but for all the pain it will put you through I'm not sure it's worth it.

Chris

And what database you recommend for an enterprise solution with RoR ? Mysql or postgresql ? Or another ?

Jose

--- snacktime <snacktime@gmail.com> escribió:

Jose,

That seems like a loaded question, so don't be surprised when you get back 263 different answers starting with "it depends...". I would say that either of those choices are fine for a majority of efforts. Of course, a couple of key items to consider might be which databases are currently supported in your organization and what performance/support expectations are vs. what support staff are available for those technologies.

I would also suggest a little research on the multiple other databases that ROR supports, e.g. Oracle. I am not one to propose installing a proprietary technology if it is not already there, but Oracle is pretty well entrenched in the enterprise and might be well accepted for a Rails effort as well it IT is already supporting other apps on it.

FWIW, Nathan

Thanks,

--- Nathan Leach <nathanoleach@gmail.com> escribió:

Jose,

That seems like a loaded question, so don't be surprised when you get back 263 different answers starting with "it depends...". I would say that either of those choices are fine for a majority of efforts. Of course, a couple of key items to consider might be which databases are currently supported in your organization and what performance/support expectations are vs. what support staff are available for those technologies.

I know. Thanks again.

I would also suggest a little research on the multiple other databases that ROR supports, e.g. Oracle. I am not one to propose installing a proprietary technology if it is not already there, but Oracle is pretty well entrenched in the enterprise and might be well accepted for a Rails effort as well it IT is already supporting other apps on it.

I researched about it, and only find totally support, in open source terms, for Mysql, Postgresql and sqlite.

I will start to develop a sales system with Ruby, and need more information to choose the database.

Do you have any benchmark with Ruby and the databases ?

Thanks again,

Jose.

This question should be about the last one you ask. It has to run before it runs fast.