Best Database For Rails?

MySQL is by far the most widely used and least problematic.

Oracle is a complete pain to use with Rails.. mostly, I suspect, because Oracle is a complete pain to use. I'm currently using 10g and unbelievable there is no native "time" type. I'm having to use a date type which means most of the Rails *_time helpers do not work.

PostgreSQL and SQLite fall somewhere in between in my opinion. I've run into issues with joins and group by clauses trying to use some of the available Rails plugins. At this point it's clear to me that most Rails plugins are only tested against MySQL. Trying to use them with any other database is a crapshoot.

I have not tried any others.

That's really a shame. We used to use MySQL, and had a lot of custom finder code that did joins for stats aggregation and stuff. When we moved onto Postgres all of those queries failed, and we seriously considered sticking with MySQL. I spent two days getting the queries to run on Postgres, so we made the switch. Out of curiosity I ran them on MySQL and they were all fine.

This won't hold true all the time of course, but I think if people test their stuff on Postgres they'll find that it's pretty much compatible with the other popular DBs.

Pat

MySQL is by far the most widely used and least problematic.

Too bad it sucks so much. :slight_smile:

PostgreSQL and SQLite fall somewhere in between in my opinion. I've run into issues with joins and group by clauses trying to use some of the available Rails plugins. At this point it's clear to me that most Rails plugins are only tested against MySQL. Trying to use them with any other database is a crapshoot.

I have had no issues with PostgreSQL. The more important thing to me is that I _trust_ PostgreSQL. I know some of the people who have hacked on it, and they took some code I wrote, so they can't be all that bad :slight_smile:

--Michael

Hi Michael

With your positive experience in Postgresql, may I trouble you to look into the ActiveScaffold Group where a few Postgresql users are having some sorting issues with AS ?

CCH

/me ignores the database-on-sleeve-wearing-comment0r.