RSpec Performance

I'm a windowx xp user and a simples "rake spec" consisting of 1 spec with 1 exaple takes about 3-4 seconds to run on a Intel Q6600 with almost no load.

Is this right? Is there a way to make it faster?

Every screencast that I watch when people try the same stuff on a Mac it runs in 4-6 miliseconds. I know that apple computers are better and stuff, but what's the reason for such a big diference in performance?

I know this doesn't help you, but on my XP laptop it would take 5-10 seconds to create a new app with the Rails command. When I go my Macbook it takes about 1 second. The Windows machine had more GHz and RAM, too.

Well, I didn't find and explanation yet. I'll try and profile the spec task to see what's slowing things down. I'll post back if I find anything.

Well, I didn't find and explanation yet. I'll try and profile the spec task to see what's slowing things down. I'll post back if I find anything.

Please also post to the rspec tracker (http://rspec.lighthouseapp.com) if you do.

Thanks, David

Quoting Rafael Barbosa <rbocosta@gmail.com>:

I'm a windowx xp user and a simples "rake spec" consisting of 1 spec with 1 exaple takes about 3-4 seconds to run on a Intel Q6600 with almost no load.

Is this right? Is there a way to make it faster?

Every screencast that I watch when people try the same stuff on a Mac it runs in 4-6 miliseconds. I know that apple computers are better and stuff, but what's the reason for such a big diference in performance?

On my four year old ThinkPad (T41) w/ 1600MHz Pentium M, 77 RSpec examples run in 3.6sec including load time using "script/spec spec". It is running SuSE Linux. Once loaded the examples run in under 2 seconds. "rake spec" takes approximately twice as long.

HTH,   Jeffrey

This is the profiling results of the "run" method, but I couldn't find the problem here. Can anyone help?

Thread ID: 41666380 Total Time: 3.391

%total %self total self wait child calls Name

Rafael Barbosa wrote:

I know this doesn't help you, but on my XP laptop it would take 5-10 seconds to create a new app with the Rails command. When I go my Macbook it takes about 1 second. The Windows machine had more GHz and RAM, too.

I'm a windowx xp user and a simples "rake spec" consisting of 1 spec with 1 exaple takes about 3-4 seconds to run on a Intel Q6600 with almost no load.       Is this right? Is there a way to make it faster?       Every screencast that I watch when people try the same stuff on a Mac it runs in 4-6 miliseconds. I know that apple computers are better and stuff, but what's the reason for such a big diference in performance?        Can you make sure that ruby is in your path early on in Windows? I use InstantRails and it has a command called use_ruby.cmd that sets the path to Ruby in its directory. That makes Rails and Ruby respond a lot faster.

The ruby/bin directory is the first one in my PATH entry. That is not the problem =/