Rspec :js => true issue (Rails 3)

Hey all,   I'm trying to get some Javascript test coverage in my app, so I decided to implement Rspec and Capybara with Selenium. I follow Ryan Bate's Railscast episode 257 to a tee, but I still can't get it to work. Problems arise when I add :js => true. Without it, the following DOES work. Here's the spec:

describe "Info Page" do   describe "GET /premium" do     it "shows the info page", :js => true do       visit '/premium'     end   end end

Which, when executed, outputs the following (with --trace):

Failures:   1) Info Page GET /premium shows the info page      Failure/Error: visit '/premium'      TypeError:        Zip is not a module      # ./spec/requests/info_spec.rb:6:in `block (3 levels) in <top (required)>'

Finished in 13.15 seconds 1 example, 1 failure

Failed examples:

rspec ./spec/requests/info_spec.rb:5 # Info Page GET /premium shows the info page rake aborted! ruby /Users/loadeddesigns/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.2-p290/bin/ruby -S rspec ./spec/requests/info_spec.rb failed /Users/loadeddesigns/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290@coverhound/gems/rspec-core-2.7.1/lib/rspec/core/rake_task.rb:149:in `block (2 levels) in initialize' /Users/loadeddesigns/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290@coverhound/gems/rake-0.9.2.2/lib/rake/file_utils_ext.rb:60:in `verbose' /Users/loadeddesigns/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290@coverhound/gems/rspec-core-2.7.1/lib/rspec/core/rake_task.rb:139:in `block in initialize' /Users/loadeddesigns/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290@coverhound/gems/rake-0.9.2.2/lib/rake/task.rb:205:in `call' /Users/loadeddesigns/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290@coverhound/gems/rake-0.9.2.2/lib/rake/task.rb:205:in `block in execute' /Users/loadeddesigns/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290@coverhound/gems/rake-0.9.2.2/lib/rake/task.rb:200:in `each' /Users/loadeddesigns/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290@coverhound/gems/rake-0.9.2.2/lib/rake/task.rb:200:in `execute' /Users/loadeddesigns/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290@coverhound/gems/rake-0.9.2.2/lib/rake/task.rb:158:in `block in invoke_with_call_chain' /Users/loadeddesigns/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.2-p290/lib/ruby/1.9.1/monitor.rb:201:in `mon_synchronize' /Users/loadeddesigns/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290@coverhound/gems/rake-0.9.2.2/lib/rake/task.rb:151:in `invoke_with_call_chain' /Users/loadeddesigns/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290@coverhound/gems/rake-0.9.2.2/lib/rake/task.rb:144:in `invoke' /Users/loadeddesigns/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290@coverhound/gems/rake-0.9.2.2/lib/rake/application.rb:116:in `invoke_task' /Users/loadeddesigns/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290@coverhound/gems/rake-0.9.2.2/lib/rake/application.rb:94:in `block (2 levels) in top_level' /Users/loadeddesigns/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290@coverhound/gems/rake-0.9.2.2/lib/rake/application.rb:94:in `each' /Users/loadeddesigns/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290@coverhound/gems/rake-0.9.2.2/lib/rake/application.rb:94:in `block in top_level' /Users/loadeddesigns/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290@coverhound/gems/rake-0.9.2.2/lib/rake/application.rb:133:in `standard_exception_handling' /Users/loadeddesigns/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290@coverhound/gems/rake-0.9.2.2/lib/rake/application.rb:88:in `top_level' /Users/loadeddesigns/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290@coverhound/gems/rake-0.9.2.2/lib/rake/application.rb:66:in `block in run' /Users/loadeddesigns/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290@coverhound/gems/rake-0.9.2.2/lib/rake/application.rb:133:in `standard_exception_handling' /Users/loadeddesigns/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290@coverhound/gems/rake-0.9.2.2/lib/rake/application.rb:63:in `run' /Users/loadeddesigns/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290@coverhound/gems/rake-0.9.2.2/bin/rake:33:in `<top (required)>' /Users/loadeddesigns/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290@coverhound/bin/rake:19:in `load' /Users/loadeddesigns/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290@coverhound/bin/rake:19:in `<main>'

I am having a really hard time trying to track down the cause of this... Heck, the only reason why I am using RSpec and Capybara is for Javascript support (other tests in the app use test unit).

Any and all help is appreciated!

Thanks,   - Jeff

UPDATE:

I got this working by using tips from the following blog: http://www.neotericdesign.com/blog/capybara-webkit-rspec-and-javascript

I changed my gemfile to use the following gems:

# For Testing w/ Javascript support.   # Rspec needs to be in the development group to expose generators and rake tasks without   # having to type RAILS_ENV=test.   gem 'rspec-rails', '~> 2.7.0', group: :development   gem 'capybara-webkit', '~> 0.7.2'

# Debugging Tests   gem 'launchy'

# This allows for database transactions to refresh during testing with   # capybara and selenium.   gem 'database_cleaner', '~> 0.6.7'

As a dependency of capybara-webkit, I also installed the QT libraries.

I still don't know why I was getting the "Zip is not a module" error, but I hope this helps someone in the future.

Thanks, - Jeff

Okay, maybe I spoke too soon. Can't help but be hopeful, lol.

I have a bunch of "fill_in" statements for the page I'm testing, such as:

fill_in "shopper_first_name", with: 'Jeffrey'

etc... however, although I'm not getting an error anymore, it DOES NOT fill in the text UNLESS I get rid of :js => true. I'm going to be testing ajax, so I need this functionality...

This headache is turning into a migraine...

Advice?

Thanks,   - Jeff

*headslam* I just needed to RTFM more closely. I assumed the fields weren't being populated because I was using launchy to save_and_open_page to see if it had done so. Capybara-webkit doesn't instantiate a browser though, it access the renderer (webkit) directly.

This is working now :stuck_out_tongue: